1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile 'phones

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 8, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Not another thread about the phones, but the providers and sellers. I have been with Vodaphone for about 20 years and my phone (about 4 years old had stated to fail, I won't go into details, but it wasn't long for this life.

I went to the nearest Vodaphone shop (which I had visited 4 weeks ago to find it had closed!) So another 6 miles later I walked into the next nearest and presented the problem. Because the assistant was wearing a mask I could not see his expression but I got the distinct impression he did not really have his mind on the job.

Whilst I was there other customers were backing up by the door but they only allowed 1 person per staff member at a time. There was another staff member but he was typing away and ignoring the waiting customers. That alone was bad customer care, admin comes after sales! .

The one I spoke to, all he could suggest was that it would have to go away for repair but could not say how long it would take, - even it was repairable, or how much it would cost. I had already decided that I would buy a replacement and he spouted off the ones they sold he mentioned that they but they didn't have any in the shop. NOT ONE! The excuse was in case the lockdown was imposed again! He told me if I paid for one today, it would be posted to my address, but could not say when it would be likely to be delivered, but I would still have to bring it into the shop to have all the numbers saved on the old one transferred. That would be a round trip of 22 miles! That was enough ,unless I can see an item I won't buy anything in case it is unsuitable.

I made my excuses and left the shop. I had heard good things about 'EE' so went to their showroom about 2 miles away and the reception could not have been more different. They, like Vodaphone had no phones on display but 'not in case of a lockdown', but to avoid contamination by customers, but they did have them in stock.

They did all the donkeywork, contacting Vodaphone on my behalf to arrange to have my number exchanged (I had to speak to them after he contacted them) Several new phones were presented (in boxes) and I chose one. I was given a £55 discount and a new contract arranged. It was so easy to do I am glad I was more or less forced to change. But if companies carry on the business in the same way as Vodaphone were, they do not deserve to be in business.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I have experienced something similar, in this case in a shopping Mall. However, the same network provider also has another branch some distance away in the High Street. The Mall just wants to sell phones etc and palm off the donkeywork - such as transferring the data from my old phone to the new one, dealing with queries and issues. That happened about 3-4 years ago and whilst I flagged the issue up with HQ, (and got a fulsome apology) up until the High St branch was closed about 18 months ago, I gather from others, the attitude of the Mall's staff still prevailed.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don't have my phone on a contract, I use SIM only and pay £15 a month. I buy used phones from CEX and replace as required. I too am on Vodafone, mainly because my employer used them and thus they worked on all our sites, including some places where nothing else does. As to transferring data, all my numbers are in the iCloud so as soon as I log on to a new device all my contacts are visible, nothing to transfer. Apps simply download from the Apps store (I have a lot of data for my £15 a month). The alternative is to back-up the phone to your computer but that probably falls down if you change makes, as does the iCloud solution of course.

4. John King

GeoffR. That is fine but I don't want the hassle. I want assistance which we will be paying for and through the assistant it shows a huge 'couldn't care less' attitude and in this day and age this has no place in a service industry. It only takes one bad apple to give an otherwise good company a bad name. Plus the other staff member ignoring customers whilst he tapped away on a laptop was also inexcusable.

After I posted the first time on this thread I received a 'How did we do today' survey. (At 11.45 at night?) I usually just ignore them, but this time they got both barrels!

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My response to that is "what hassle" but I take your point. Vodafone aren't really aimed at private customers, and for some reason they have me down as a business customer, which is probably reflected in their in-store service. Not that I have had any problems with their local store but I am a very infrequent visitor. Yes ignoring customers is completely wrong but it is just possible that the person you saw wasn't sales staff at all but support of some sort, none the less he should have known to some how communicate this, no name badge for example. When I was working every manager was expected to be customer facing to some extent and we did our best.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Order what you want from the internet and pay a local tech repair service to set it up for you? Just needs a cable with an end for each phone IIRC.

7. John King

The person typing away was the deputy manager according to his name badge, so no excuse there. The one who (almost) served me I believe was one of the sales staff.
    As I found out yesterday, the various outlets are franchises for Vodaphone so are not owned directly by them. I needed a phone urgently because I am away on Tuesday overnight and because I will be driving over 550 miles in total, I need reliable communication should I be late or break down.

Waiting until the middle of the week in this case is just not an option for me.

8. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I detest mobile phones, I only have a family cast off for use when I go into respite care and never use it any other time but that’s beside the point. We have three kids who each have similar horror stories about various providers, it makes me pleased I haven’t joined in.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

For some reason EE often get bad reviews I've been with them since they were T-Moble and never had a problem.

A month or so back my phone started to play up so as my home landline phone doesn't work (need a new phone but the only thing I ever get on it is sales calls so not bothered) I made an appointment to go to my local EE shop. 20 minutes later I walked out with a new phone on a very reasonable contract, all set up, numbers transferred

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My phone contract is with EE. They have been owned by BT since 2016. The only imperative to have a phone is 2-step authentication demands it and for emergency use (if you can get a signal, mine usually displays searching or no signal if I’m out anywhere).

11. John King

I used my new phone following the incident with the tyre yesterday to call the police to get the junk removed from the road and had no problem picking up a signal at all or indeed any other time I used it during the day. It is a tool and I appreciate that there are sometimes places where there is no coverage.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have to admit that the last thing I want from a mobile phone is a contract. An iPhone 7 from Vodafone would cost me £15* a month for 24 months or £360, plus £19 up front, and I can pick up a used one for around £250. Obviously I can get a lesser phone at a lower price. More importantly, if I don't like the phone I can just sell it and buy something different. If I buy from CEX I get a two year guarantee. All numbers transferred at log-on.

If you don't like/want Apple the number transfer service might be useful. I am happy to buy a used Apple phone because I like them and there are huge number around.

13. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I used to get great service from Virgin they have gone downhill now.

I refuse to have a contract phone I prefer a contract cancel anytime sim that way you keep your number and change the phone whenever you like

Repair a phone, what a quaint idea ;)