1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMA sport canon settings advice needed

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Tiffany Murphy, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Tiffany Murphy

Tiffany Murphy New Member

Hi everyone my name is Tiffany. I am photographing an indoor martial arts event ‘Mma’ and looking for any advice on Canon 6D MK 11 settings with getting in focus sport shots. I have photographed boxing a long time ago and wasn’t 100% happy with my results so I’m hoping to get any advice/tips from you. Thank you.

2. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

this will depend a lot on the lens used, distance to subject and available light. if you can furnish this info it will give readers the right clues as to possible settings.

3. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

You'll need a fast shutter speed, so a fast lens opened quite wide and ISO set to auto (But make sure it doesn't go so high as to be unusable)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Tiffany, the main challenge is freezing the movement so an exposure time of 1/500 s (or less) is desirable to avoid blur. Under indoor lighting this usually means using a fast (wide aperture) lens, like F2.8, which means also using a high ISO setting.

As far as I can remember there is just one forum member who has posted Ju Jitsu. His forum name is Caledonia84, if you search Flickr for “Scotia BJJ cup 2013” you will find some examples. The outstanding “need to do” is getting a good viewpoint at eye-level with the action. I’ve never been to a martial arts event (other than children learning) so I don’t know if privileged access is needed to get down at the edge of the mat. Being up at the top of a stand looking down will be less successful and will need a longer lens. I would think a 70-200 F2.8 would be the sort of lens you’d need. Scott used a 50 mm F1.8 (equivalent to 75 mm on the 6D) wide open but seemed to be pretty close to the mat.

Photographing any kind of action takes practice as good results follow from good anticipation. I would use continuous AF with a single focus point and have the camera on the high burst rate setting. I don’t personally use “machine-gunning” (holding the shutter release down and making a lot of noise) because sorting through thousands of near identical pictures drives me potty. I use a “double tap” approach, where I take 2 shots as close together as I can, when I judge something is happening. With burst rate on high this may result in 3 pictures (I’m getting slow) but it increases the chance of catching the action, minimises duplication and encourages concentration.

Don’t forget to put the camera down from time to time and actually watch the competition. You can miss the entire experience if you are squinting at a viewfinder the whole time!