1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing Chemicals for Developing

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by JMK, Feb 14, 2021.

1. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

I thought I had seen or heard everything about developing colour, but on another photography site someone has posted why has he got severe colour casts in his films as a result of developing an E6 slide film then a C41 Print film in the same developer (apparently not at the same time) followed by a further C41 film and he wonders why he is getting odd colour casts in one C41 and the 2nd C41 film being under developed. I had to read it twice and then a third time, even then maybe I have not read it correctly but that is the way I interpreted his ramblings!

I was not aware you could develop E6 and C41 in the same developer! I suppose that provides material for us on the outside to write about.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was sufficiently curious to look it up. Under the Wiki pages for C41 process it says you can cross-process C41 film in E6 chemicals and E6 film in C41 chemicals and C41 film in B&W chemicals but you get singular results when you do. Don’t expect the colours to be right!

3. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

I think the original poster has found that out, but cannot see where he went wrong. It takes all sorts.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

5. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

Extreme vintage photography I always thought was black and white, not actually colour except possibly if you include sepia. I'm thinking of Fox Talbot. you cannot go further back than that if you are meaning from a negative into positive prints

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

James Clerk Maxwell produced the first colour photograph in 1861. I think that 160 years ago would meet most people's definition of extreme vintage photography.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

RogerMac likes this.
  8. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

But not as early as 1834 when James Henry Fox-Talbot produced the negative/positive image of the Oriel Window at Laycock Abbey.

Can Maxwell's image be classed as a photograph? It was as the result of a spinning wheel where the three primary colours were mixed to give a 'coloured' image. No actual camera as we know it seems to have been used. By the time he was experimenting with his spinning wheel, JH. Fox-Talbots process of forming a negative and printing it onto a paper base was coming on by leaps and bounds.

Maxwell proved that a mix of colours could give different colours represented in a object but that did not happen for quite a while later. His image, like that of Daguerre who made his image a gnats whisker later than JHFT was a one off every time, whereas Fox Talbots, was repeatable time and time again.

Maxwell's main interest was magnetism and this was a fortunate addition to his research not experimentation into making a colour photograph

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

JMK, are you picking a nit in my sig? Just seems a weird thing to pick up on.

Somewhere I have a photographic paper neg I took of FT's window... where, I wonder?

10. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

An update on my previous post. Actually the theory expressed by Maxwell did not result in him making or taking the 1st colour image. The theory was expressed in 1855 but the image you are referring to was actually created by another person, Thomas Sutton who was a photographer using the Fox Talbot process of Neg/Pos to make B&W images.

One thing that is not in dispute is Thomas Sutton invented the principals of a Single lens reflex camera.

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oh no he didn't.

Johann Sturm is reported to have described a camera obscura with a reflex mirror in 1676 and Johann Zahn is reported to have developed a portable version with all the basic features of a photographic SLR by 1685. In the 1700s, SLR camera obscuras were popular with artists. While it is true that Sutton received the first recorded patent for an SLR to be used for photography, it's quite likely that others had previously put sensitised materials into a a reflex camera before him, after Niépce began to publicise his Bitumen Pewter process in 1826.

12. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

I am not going to delve further into photographic history, it is all philosophical, slightly irrelevant and has little bearing on the original topic, so here endeth the lesson.