1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misty waterfall mono

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

A fair walk to get to this location but I like a good walk.
    Was it worth it?
    All CC welcome.
    Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

2. tonycro

tonycro Well-Known Member

fab shot :eek:)

print it big !

3. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Without dimming the merit of the posted shot, I am surprised the tinier falls to the right didn't grab your eye more than the central dividing one.

4. Helander

Yeah, they sure did catch my attention but this was as close as I could get due to the terrain. It would have been pointless getting any closer anyway as the high winds were circling the spray all around, the closer you got the worse it got. It was damn hard getting a shot without water droplets on the lens.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  5. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

It was worth it if you are happy with outcome and even if you are not I am sure you enjoyed the process. I would love it so much more without the central jet. It just feels cut off, with no proper beginning. I love the background though

6. Helander

Thanks but what do you mean with no proper beginning? :)

7. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

I meant it just starts nowhere in the photo. It's just a line in the middle. Your shot was behind the main jet

8. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Nice one! But as Luis mentioned - the best part of it is at the bottom right quarter :) Love the contrast between water and rocks there.

9. Moggimus

Moggimus Well-Known Member

Stunning... I want to live where you do, the scenery is spectacular... I actually think the black spaces give more oomph to the smaller falls. The only thing I might be tempted to do is crop a bit off the left. But I love the exposure and overall feel of this photo. Brilliant.

10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I have to agree with the others. The shot is in the bottom right corner of the frame - the central stream is a major distraction.

MickLL

11. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

great photo - love it

whilst yes the point of interest is the bottom it needs the top to pull you in

amazing photo, thanks for posting it

12. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

I actually really like this even without the beginning of the central stream of water. The lighting behind the water is great.

Mick

13. Cersei

Cersei Well-Known Member

you could crop bit of the top off, it maybe a great improvement. Try it out and see

14. mnbarnett

mnbarnett Member

Moody and Mysterious, Love It!!!

15. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Lovely shot, wonderfully atmospheric, well done. I understand why some are saying the better shot is in the smaller falls to the right - but you captured what you could, you did it well, and it's a pleasure to see it as it is.

Knowing it's a waterfall is reassuring - for a moment I thought you had captured some heavenly body being beamed down to earth to punish mankind. :(

Regards, Mike

16. Helander

Thanks guys, some interesting replies.
    Here's where I'm at.
    Waterfall shots are tricky, for me at least. Getting the flows right by juggling aperture and iso was a trial and error process for the first few exposures. This was a 1/3rd of a second at f8.

It's possibly not obvious without actually being there but the flows and column are roughly on the same plane with very little space behind the column and rock face so a shot of just the small flows would have been difficult.
    For me it needs the main flow to give context anyway......ie where has the water come from.
    One thing I learnt when doing waterfalls on a workshop was depending what you want to achieve it's not always important to shoot all of the fall. By not including the source it adds an element of mystery and removes any sense of scale. This fall could be 100 or 3ft tall, who knows but the photographer, it leaves the viewer guessing.
    If using all the fall from top to bottom it becomes another picture of a another waterfall which is not what I wanted to achieve. By removing the source I want the viewer to focus on the liquid flows, the motion, the contrasts between solid and liquid and how they interact with each other rather than view a picture of a waterfall.
    This all probably sounds like a load of carp but before the lens cap came off this is what I was attempting to achieve. :)

Cheers folks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  17. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

It's a very nice image Scott. I might have done it slightly different by loosing some of the left hand side, something like below, but then we all look at things in different ways

[​IMG]

18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Great, but I agree there's probably a better shot on the right of the main column.

19. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

do you not think a crop like that looses the impact of the blackness around the waterfall? whilst its ok to feature just the waterfall so much of the composition lost here ... but you say we all look at things differently

20. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

It does loose that blackness but it's the way I'd probably have taken it. The OP knows what he's doing though