1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission wet print begins (Almost)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by nastypiranha, Feb 15, 2016.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

For a 1st attempt they're pretty good. You've got a good range of tones and print contrast seems OK. Well done. Temp. control can be a bit of a pain but if you're serious about this printing lark then you could invest in a Nova slot processor which solve all the problems associated with temp. control chemical storage and space in one go. You could also look out for some used dish-warmers (the new ones seem to be ridiculously expensive for some reason) but having used both, I'd settle for the Nova units any time. Can't comment on using a stronger dilution of dev as I've never really had a problem keeping my chemistry at the right temp!

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi taxor, good advice there. I currently use a Nova. They're not cheap either new or secondhand but they are great for limited spaces. I'd love to go back to trays but don't have the space. It's just the way of working, I guess, plus some of the hassles I get with the Nova and also the water round here. Am in a centrally heated house in a virtually unheated (radiator on a very low setting) third bathroom (Oly is clean, very clean, ever so clean, positively polished :eek:) so the Nova's heater is not plugged in. If we had some mega cold weather, I might have to use it, so it is good to have in reserve.

My dream buy? A house with a darkroom like the late Chuck Henningsen (1936-2016) - 2,400 square feet*. Yes, you read that right, thousands of square feet. Those Americans do things BIG! Cheers, Oly

*PS. Strikes me that you could also get a small studio into 2,400 sq feet and still have room for darkroom, reception area, bathroom & changing room. Am I jealous?

You bet! :D

3. nastypiranha

nastypiranha Well-Known Member

Thank you guys, I found a Nova 8X10 trimate on a second hand darkroom site so ordered that so hopefully that will solve that issue. I was also in a supermarket tonight and seen a Amateur Photographer black&white special so picked a copy of that up as-well. So thank you all once again for the help and advice :)

4. nastypiranha

Thank you guys for mentioning the Nova to me, mines just arrived and looks like its going to be a excellent bit of kit :)

5. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Just a word of advice re. the Nova. Once it's full with chemistry it will be immobile, so don't try to move it when it's full 'coz you'll break it. Because of this, I built a little base with casters on it so I could move it around carefully and slowly - works a treat.

6. nastypiranha

Thank you taxor for the tip, my wee dark room is a converted shed office. it's all been double lined and has plenty electrical sockets and worktops just no plumbing. so the Nova has it's own wee spot where it can be drained without moving too much :) I tried the Nova out yesterday and it made life so much easier so thank you to both once again for mentioning the Nova system as I had never heard of it before :)

7. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

That's been my situation for the last 40 odd years - all I do is pelt downstairs to the bathroom and shove them in the print washer.