1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirrorless specs on Photo Rumors

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by AndyTake2, Sep 1, 2018.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. When's Photokina - 26-29th September, so it's likely to be a leak from Canon egging us on,,, Will I be able to resist it? I expect so, for a period.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It'll all boil down to how good the EVF and focus is.

I'm still fine with my DSLR's for cameras 'of that size', and my m6 for a small camera.

I wonder what the lifespan of the EF-M mount is, given the new full frame mirrorless mount? Will they try and merge the two, or effectively end up running four mounts (EF, EF-S, EF-M, EF-R?).

If I was in the market for a new camera, I'd look at it, but I'm not, and there's nothing they can do which is compelling enough for me to move from my existing cameras.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Ditto. But I am very happy with the combination of small and light (Pen-F) and FF (6D) that I have already . I certainly do not want to get into another lens mount on top of the three I use at present EF, FT and mFT

5. EightBitTony

Just doing some reading, there's speculation that the new mount (RF it seems) on the camera, will support EF directly. I can't see that myself, given there's also a rumoured adapter.

RogerMac likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Find out in 2 days (if the rumour is true).

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

if ES mount Dslr cameras continue much into the future, they will probably have the new larger EFM mount fitted in addition, or instead of the ES

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

ES? You mean EF? Or EF-S? EF-M is smaller, and RF will have a shorter register.

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

And the new lenses have a 'customisable control ring' which one of the adapters will also present? I guess if you like changing aperture via a control on the lens (for example) that lets you do it?

The plain adapter doesn't contain any optics that I can see - anyone who understands more physics than I do able to comment on what that means for EF/EF-S image quality on the EOS R?

Should be the same as on the EOS D line because the glass is still the glass, and the new mount only really allows improvements in new lenses through the additional size? Or the mount will somehow impact the optical quality (not optimised, not the right shape, length, whatever)?

11. EightBitTony

Also, those new lenses look *expensive*.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The EF-RF adaptor should have no noticeable effect on image quality as it simply adds back the lens register distance lost through removal of the mirror box. As long as Canon make it to the same tolerances as they would normally apply to lens making everything should be fine. Theoretically having an extra unit between the lens and camera does increase the possibility of incorrect alignment or register distance but as I say unless the unit is grossly out of tolerance I would not expect to see any difference.

I wonder how long before someone like Metabones comes up with an FD-RF adaptor? After all here's a Canon that could properly be used with FD lenses - assuming they haven't taken out the stop down metering option that is...

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. PeteRob

The press release, on the AP site, reads somewhat breathlessly. I can see that a bumper back-to-back comparison issue will be a possibility. My inbox hasn't started to fill up yet with blurb from Canon. Phase 1 are pushing their new back quite hard though!

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. PeteRob

The blurb said the adaptor takes drop in filters. If these are like those on the super-telephoto lenses there will be a plain glass filter in the adaptor.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The standard adaptor doesn't have the filter option and neither does the one with the control ring. The one with the drop in filter is yet another option.

If I were cynical I'd say 3 adaptors looks like a money making scheme...;)

16. PeteRob

I've now seen the LCE email listing the options and indeed the drop in filter isn't an integral part of each mount adaptor as I'd assumed and like it is in the super-teles.

It is rather funny to consider a lens aperture ring as "novel". What might be novel is to put decent click stops and marks on it, the one on my Fuji drives me crazy because there is no clear sign of what the aperture is and it is easily moved.

17. EightBitTony

The ring seems customisable so you could in theory change anything with it (shutter speed, ISO, white balance ...)

18. RogerMac

I have not yet spotted a weight - have an sharper eyes than mine seen one?

Thanks

19. EightBitTony

20. RogerMac

Thanks - Then I am interested (but probably not enough to rush out clutching a cheque book)