1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Mirrorless Camera

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by gmw492, Feb 25, 2020.

1. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Getting set to enter politics?;)

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'll selectively quote you then.

The point is that we don't know how much knowledge the OP has, it may not be a problem but, if we assume that the OP is a novice it is important to acknowledge that the EVF has its disadvantages as well as its advantages. If I bought a camera and then found that I needed to spend a significant sum on some additional equipment to be able to use it I would not be happy. Lets give the whole story and let the OP decide.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    RogerMac likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Of course. So your point is?

4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I do like my DSLR kit, but to be honest I find that now a days I usually grab my Olympus Pen... It has the optional VF viewfinder so it basically handles like a miniature SLR and the 4:3 sensor is actually very good. So I guess my answer to your question would be for example the pen ep-l8 with the VF4 or the excellent PEN-F if you can afford it/are ready to spend the cash.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

It is easy to limit your decision to the specifications of the camera body, and miss the problem that is easily overlooked: the price and availability of secondhand lenses to use with it (unless you want to buy new and are wealthy enough). A mirrorless body with a Sony lens mount will probably allow more choice of secondhand lenses than one with a Fuji lens mount because the Sony mirrorless system has been around for longer. If you may want to look for different lenses in future, check the price of some of them before you buy the camera body because this may help you decide. I assume you plan to buy lenses in future because you have said that you want an interchangeable lens body.

Of course, this is one reason for also considering one of the smaller Canon of Nikon APS-C sensor DSLRs. There are lots of nice secondhand lenses available at great prices (and lots of secondhand DSLR bodies too). Some of the 'beginner' models from Canon have been very compact.

One lens example: I have an older model Sigma 10-20 zoom. I love this lens, and mint condition secondhand ones in Canon or Nikon mounts are now selling for £170 from reputable dealers who advertise in AP. The nearest equivalent Fuji lens I can find (Fujifilm XF 10-24mm f4 R OIS Wide Angle Zoom Lens) currently sells new for £849 and secondhand for £580 (one found on the LCE website). The Fuji lens may be 'better' (although the Sigma was well reviewed when new), but unless you want to get large prints done would you ever notice?

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

And since your wallet will be inevitably lighter, it balances out ;)

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That may well depend on where you are going and for how long. A walk in the country, say Watlington Hill for the Kites and carry a single spare, may be reasonable but a week in New York is likely to require at least a couple of spare and a charger chose your airline wisely if you want to get it in your cabin baggage. I managed a week with three batteries using an SLR.

The fact is that there are advantages and disadvantages to each camera type, a wise decision isn't something we can make for the OP all we can do is to mention the options and limitations, ultimately the decision will be an economic one I suspect.