1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Mirror lenses?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by oldtimer, Feb 2, 2007.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Re: Mirror lenses? Tamron is great

A 500mm Mirror shines over a conventional 500 because it is a fraction of the cost. Over a 200, greater magnification obviously, but the 200 could be faster for less of a premium.

2. oldtimer

oldtimer Well-Known Member

I followed the link and found a 500mm lens for $99 which is roughly £50 - plus postage, import duties etc.

I finally got a S/H 500mm mirror lens - for around 50 notes - seems to be about the going rate on ebay.

I am still trying to get used to it. 500mm on a digital camers is 750mm in 35mm terms - an awesome magnification. These lenses are manual focus and my eyesight is not what it was, so I am struggling a bit. The depth of field is very small making accurate focus essential. Consequently it is not much good for action photography unless you pre focus. I have not found the fixed f8 a problem and the physical size is certainly much better than a conventional lens.

The lessons learned so far?
    1) Handling a 500mm telephoto is a world away from even a 300mm lens. For a start you become a prisoner of a tripod, then there is DOF, shake, etc to contend with.
    2) I rely on auto focus so will probably upgrade when I have exhausted the learning potential of this lens
    3) It will cost £500 - £750 to get a suitable replacement. (Sigma do a couple of options)- so that is a few birthday/Xmas presents all rolled up together
    4) For bird and other nature work, a lens of this length sure makes a difference.

500mm for 50 notes is not going to produce a world beating performance, on the other hand it is not going to break the bank if it does not come up to scratch - you can always sell it on. It is certainly better than spending £750 and finding that it is not for you.

I hope that is of some help

Graham

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Graham,

Congrats on getting the lens and looking forward to seeing some pics :)

Cheers,

Jack

4. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Wish I could get a 500 mirror for 50 notes....a/f of course.

We all have dreams