1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Mirror lens arrived today

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

DSCN0661.jpg Dscn0662.jpg

2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Is the Minolta/Sony fit mirror the only one with AF?

3. Stephen Rundle

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Minolta made two AF reflex lenses .
    One is the 500mm f/8 reflex in A mount , which Minolta and Sony SLR , DSLRs and SLTs use , and the less well known Minolta Vectis 400mm f/8 reflex .
    This was used on the APS film Vectis SLRs , and the digital Minolta DiMage RD-3000 .

Both of which I have and they give good results .

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Years ago I had a Minolta AF f/8 and it worked very well but was not as sharp as a 400mm telephoto lens I also had. The big advantage was its compactness.

6. Stephen Rundle

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The trick with mirror lenses is nailing the point of focus , and getting a high enough shutter speed .

8. Stephen Rundle

Dsc_1279.jpg Dsc_1280.jpg siggy.jpg DSC_1275_filtered.jpg First try

shot at 50mm, 120mm Nikkor 120-400
    Last

500mm Centon mirror lens VERY dull day so 20,000 (set to manual how I always shoot and auto ISO)

Remembering the VERY shallow DOF at F8 on a 500 I am happy for £59 inc. postage

Of course there is a difference, when shooting important things, Sigma Sport, when out for a walk I'll keep the Mirror in my pocket

Dsc_1279.jpg
    Dsc_1280.jpg
    View attachment 99936

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  9. Stephen Rundle

Siggy 150-600 sport v Centon Mirror lens

IMG_20200709_134828176.jpg