1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MinoltaMan

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Clive, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Next week I become MinoltaMan. Will I change in any way? Will the earth move? Will my 20-year old midlife crisis end? Will I have found nirvana?

Clive - MinoltaMan

[​IMG]

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Fangs,

You as well as the other clearers of Ffordes emporium of all things manual in the way of Minolta, are all welcome to this forum and as the longest serving regular I bid you welcome.

<font color=blue>RonM CRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

3. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I'm here too. :)

I've already got my SR-1s for the Challenge, as I guess everyone knows by now from the Lounge thread, but my much coveted and long awaited black XE-1 arrives next week.

I fell in love with the XE-1 when it was introduced back in 1975, IIRC, just on the basis of a test report and a brochure. Mind you, in those days I fell in love with loads of cameras, and I was rarely faithful for long. Still, I've wanted an XE-1 ever since, and now at last a long held ambition is about to be fulfilled. :)

Huw Evans.

&lt;a href="http://www.huwevans.freeuk.com"&gt;www.huwevans.freeuk.com&lt;/a&gt;

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Me too ............and really looking forward to it. I want to get the "Ivor Matanle experience" with the 101! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    &lt;IMG SRC="http://jabberwoq.com/images/emoticons/wave.gif"&gt;

5. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ron - the REAL MinoltaMan. Of course we shall oblige this forum with the decorum to which it is accustomed. Quite posh furniture in here - though leather Chesterfields are no good for my back.

The Rokkor Band.

6. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Anyone had it?

I thought I would treat myself this morning - to the Sigms 24 f/2.8 at Westcliff. I have this lens in Nikon and Contax fittings and its a cracker. Not part of the challenge - just a good buy at £55. It was there yesterday - but this morning it's ....... gone! /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Anyone had the same thought?????????????????????????

Clive

7. TimF

Re: Anyone had it?

Not guilty. Maybe Huw thought he'd better have one that could shoot things other than llamas!! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Tim BSRIPN

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Clive,

I've seen quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that early Sigma lenses for Minolta manual fit cameras were not that great Vivitar and Zeiss were much higher rated, but not as good as the real McCoy i.e.; a prime Rokkor and the fact that there are so many out there in excellent nick thats where I would be spending my dosh,

9. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I chose the Sigma 24 over both the Contax 25 and the Nikkor 24 - I had seen the results from this lens on a Nikon F3 and it was just one of those lenses that Sigma got so right. But I don't know the results for the Rokkor, Ron, but www.photodo.com confirms that the Sigma is very special - and I missed it! I suppose if I am going to take the SRT101 seriously (and why not?) then the best 24 would be at the top of my list. I must check out the Rokkor.

Clive

10. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I think this is one of these instances where test results and actuallity seem to differ, I just checked up the photodo info about the AF lenses and it contradicts what I found in my experience I have had both Sigma and Minolta 24 f/2.8 AF lenses firstly the Sigma and found that the image quality was not good especially at the edges (this was stopped down at f/8 - 13) whereas the Minolta is different class. The evidence can be seen here http://groups.msn.com/APMembersGallery/gallery.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=15403.
    The anecdotal evidence I talked about is from contributers on other Minolta forums where the usual questions have been asked as to "what the best lens to use is" or "what do you think of this" and for mf Sigmas the concensus is not to bother, either stick with/get a Rokkor or look at Vivitar or a Zeiss (for some lenses or zooms).

11. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

That's a gorgeous shot of Dornoch sands, Ron. I take it that that was shot with the Rokkor AF? If I'm thinking of doing the whole Minolta thing, then I will read up on the MF lenses as much as I can - as I guess a Rokkor 24 would be much more serious money.

Clive

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

No that was with the 'A' mount Minolta on the Dynax, if it had been the previous Sigma AF version then it would not have been anywhere near as good. It was as an example of what a Minolta lens can produce and my personal experiance and perception

13. TimF

Re: Anyone had it?/its back now!

While adding a couple of bits from Westcliff just now for the challenge (£12 tripod, £19 SR extension tubes set), plus a couple of small bits, I noticed the Sigma 24mm is listed again, as is the llama shooter. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Tim BSRIPN

14. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

So what is an A-Mount Ron? (I only know F-Mounts!) - but was I right saying it was a Rokkor?

15. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Re: Ah . . memories

. . when someone says 'I got such and such from Ffordes', none bats an eyelid because almost everyone gets stuff from there, but this is the first time I've heard Westcliff mentioned on here. That's where I spent £59 on my Yashicamat this time last year.
    BTW, I'm a Minolta Man now too, with a Hi-matic! Not for C150, though.

Rob NRIPN

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

16. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Yes, they are both listed, Tim - but if you click on "buy" (sounds a bit like Leroy van Dyke!) it says they are sold. This seems to be the way the Westcliff site deals with sales before the website is updated.

Clive

17. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

The 'A' mount is the mount Minolta brought in for the Autofocus cameras which has continued right up until the present range of Dynax such as my Dynax 7, although there were I beleive some similarities in the desings of some of the MD Rokkors and some early 'A' mount

18. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Thanks Ron - so was the Rokkor name dropped when the A-Mount arrived? ie - it only applies to MF lenses?

19. TimF

Aah! Oh well.

Tim BSRIPN

20. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Clive,

As far as I know yes, except for enlarger lenses!

&lt;font color=blue&gt;&lt;b&gt;RonM&lt;/b&gt; CRIPN&lt;/font color=blue&gt;