1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minolta Maxxum StSi (a.k.a. Maxxum 404si) Battery Always Low

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by psj23, Sep 28, 2014.

1. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

I've just got a hand-me-down 35mm film camera, a Minolta Maxxum StSi date model (also sold as the Maxxum 404si DATE). It takes two CR2 batteries for power, which I just bought fresh and new (Duracell with an expiry somewhere in 2016). I inserted them into the camera and shot a roll of 36 exposures. The battery indicator started blinking low about half way through the roll. I finished the roll of film, put a new one in along with some older, but known to work, batteries. Had exactly the same problem. Later re-inserting the batteries seems to have got me back to a full indicator again, but I'm worried. Anyone know what's causing this?

2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

It's possibly just dirty contacts in the battery chamber .

Use a pencil with a rubber on the end to clean them .

You might be unlucky if the camera has been left with batteries in a long time , they could have caused various contacts to corrode inside .

Good luck .

3. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

I was afraid of that (corrosion)... The contacts look very clean on the outside, but no idea of what might be happening inside the camera, or what it's been through. I'll see what it costs to get the camera checked.

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay someone to look at it . It would cost more for someone to look at it , let alone repair it , than it will cost to replace it with one off ebay.

If you do replace it , consider the Maxxum 5 , or if budget allows the Maxxum 7 , about the nicest to use a mount camera . Very modern too .
    Both cameras can use all Minolta and Sony A mount , full frame lenses .
    SSM and SAM lenses are not compatible with your current camera .

Worth thinking about.

5. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

...Definitely not worth the price. I just bought an all manual Pentax camera for about half of what the repair estimate was on the Minolta! And I can now share lenses between my 'new' film camera and my digital SLR, also a Pentax.
    I was talking with a former electronics tech, who suggested the Minolta might have a damaged resistor (but admits he'd never taken one apart). He also warned me of repair shops who use anything electrical as an excuse to charge an arm and a leg. Too bad, though, that Minolta is really a very nice camera. I might have a look at it myself...

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I bought two decent Minolta bodies from Ebay auctions for £0.99 each. the post was more than the items!

7. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

No doubt there are some finds to be had within eBay. But my experience there has been less than great :( Last year, for example, I bought a camera described as being in excellent condition. When it arrived, it needed new light seals, the mirror was nicked, and the lens mount warped. Ugh. That's enough of eBay for me.
    But that Minolta I've been talking about is in pristine outward condition, and I'm becoming nearly obsessed with somewow restoring it. I'm definitely not giving up just yet.

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

When you open it up , just mind any contact points for the capacitor
    and anything to do with the flash . Electric shock warning !

9. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up, neilt! I'll remove the batteries and let the cap drain for about a week or so before I even try anything.

10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

You need to discharge the capacitor , even after a week you'll still get a heck of a shock .
    Google it for instruction's.