1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Minolta 'Dynax' models

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by PeteE, Dec 2, 2015.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have been GIVEN several MINOLTA 'Dynax' models -- a 3xi, a 500si, the 40 and the 5. I also got some chrome Minolta AF lenses : AF Zoom 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 D and a AF Zoom 28-100mm f3.5-5.6 D and many black AF Minolta lenses.I have tried all the Dynaxes except the 3xi which does not seem to be working . The model 5 has the highest flash synch speed which I like BUT the feature I do NOT like is that you cannot open the camera back until all the film has been exposed and I nearly always need to do that to cut short lengths. I am still 'learning' the ways of 'MINOLTA' -- may the Force be With Me ---
    [​IMG]Minolta Dynax Models by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Looks like they all have the 8 pin connector for the lens so should work with current Sony, Tamron and Sigma lenses as well as older Minolta AF fit ones with 5 pin connections.

Although primarily aimed at Minolta and Sony DSLRs, you may find the lens data pages on the Dyxum forum handy which covers all A mount lenses, includes user reviews and ratings

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic24857.html

3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

thanks very much for that 'link' -- never heard of that site before -- it seems i have the AF 70-201mm f4 'Beercan' lens as well as the other later 70-201mm lenses !
    [​IMG]Minolta AF zooms by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    'Beercan ' is top RIGHT and it IS sharp but heavy !

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

The "beercan" is somewhat of a legend, price now seems to have settled around £100 ish, I was lucky enough to find an 80-200 f2.8 last year for about £450, Ebay currently between £499 and £550. A slightly cheaper alternative would be the Tokina 80-200/2.8 around £280.

5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Only the Dynax 40 and Dynax 5 (of these 4 )will work with all lenses including Sony / Minolta SSM & SAM , Sigma HSM etc .
    The other two has the extra pins to provide power for the Zoom Xi lenses .
    Cameras from before the Dynax 7 did not have the ability to control the SSM lenses and you would have manual focus only .

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Pete , if you want to open the film back with film in it , you can .
    The film back lock is only there to prevent you accedently opening the back .

So , in a dark room or changing bag ;
    1; set the main switch to OFF .
    2; set the function dail to ISO .
    3; while pressing the function dail button AND pressing the spot-AE lock button , turn the main switch to ON.
    The film lock indicator will change from red to black , and the back can now be opened .

Page 121 of the user manual .
    If you want PDF copies of the manuals for your Minolta cameras , PM your e-mail address and I will forward them on to you .

The main Minolta film cameras I am currently using are the Dynax 9 , a Dynax 7 and the Dynax 5 with the bp-200 battery grip ( for AA batteries ).

Regards , Neil .

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So how do you tell? ;)

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Instinct !

or

The back can then be opened !

You can press the buttons in the light if you must though , but it's a good idea to be in the dark when you open the back .