1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Minolta A200 problem

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Dorset_Mike, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

My 15 year old A200 appears to have lost its ability to focus, I get the bleep which should indicate that focus has been achieved but no sound of any action and images are not in focus; is this a known problem, if so is there any easy cure, lubrication maybe if so is it DIY? Amazon currently have 3 used ones prices from around £138 to £190 plus P&P which seems a bit steep to me for a "bridge camera".

2. Dorset_Mike

False alarm!!!!!!!!!!!! RTFM !! found a little button hidden at the side for switching betwen AF and MF - after having downloaded a manual.

neilt3 likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Catches us all out that one!

Fuji have a little switch single, continuous, manual on the camera front that can get knocked, whoever looks at the front of the camera?

Also, it's easier to undo these days, now that menus are pretty much self-explanatory, but on older cameras, setting a custom function switch to disable auto focus on the shutter release could cause endless fun.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Have you tried doing without the bleep?
    On most real cameras you can turn it off, which is one less way of drawing attention to yourself if trying to be inconspicuous.

5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

You can turn the beep off on this camera too , likewise with the fake shutter sound .
    It's actually a nice camera .
    I carry one from time to time if I'm using mainly large format film , but want a digital backup .
    Lens has a good range and decent macro .

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

They sell on eBay sometimes for as little as £25 if you were after a spare for backup .
    There's one on action stating at £52 , which is a bit steep .
    It's unlikely anyone would bid on that , but boxed with all the bits you could consider it .

It's good you figured yours out first .

7. Dorset_Mike

A new problem on an A200, I bought another on Ebay thinking it would be handy to keep in the car, looks good, all the bits and pieces with it, however it won't recognise any CF card, at first I thought it needed the #v1.01 update to the firmware as the card I was using was an 8Gb and pre v1.01 the max supported was 4Gb but it's the same on a 256Mb; I've tried using a card formatted on my other A200 - no different, do I return it te the seller or is there a known easy fix? I've also tried downloading and installing V1.01 no luck, it wont read the CF card with the update.

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Try formatting the card in the P C , then put it in the camera and formatting it in that .

Have you looked into the cameras memory card slot ?
    If a pin has been bent it wouldn't work .
    Sometimes they can be bent back , but remain a weak spot .
    In which case , send it back .

9. Dorset_Mike

Yep bent pin, and the tiny screws are not being helpful, had to drill 2 out, shouldn't be a problem though there's loads of 'em!

10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Have you got it working then ?
    If so , rather than taking the card out again , you can transfer the images via a usb cable .

11. Dorset_Mike

Still got some screws to go, kept finding more, final count 30+ including those drilled out.. Finally got to the pin and straightened it, card is now in its socket, break for tea, then try and put it back together and hope to remember which connectors went where.