1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minolta 20mm manual lens

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by John_K, Mar 25, 2010.

1. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where one of these absolutely terrific lenses may be lurking, and is for sale? I had one a long while ago and they are simply outstanding in build and quality. Now I have gone back to Minolta I would like to get one if I can. There are none on E Bay and none of the usual main 2nd hand dealers has seen one for years.

Oh yes whilst I at it an 85mm F2 would be nice as well.

2. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Is this the one?
    outrageous price though.

3. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Cripes, you aren't kidding about the price Dave, that's not far of the price for a new Sony 20mm f/2.8.

Mind you personally I'm still looking for a 24mm f/2.8 MD lens at sensible money!

John I know where there's a 85 f/2, on the front of my XE-1 and it's staying there :D

4. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I didn't know about the 85/f2. I have an 85/f1.4 that's superb although it doesn't get much use these days since I fell in love with insects and the 200mm macro.:)

MickLL

5. swanseadave

Hi Ron.FWIW I just looked at the ebay shop and ALL their stock is set at cloud cuckoo land Buy it now prices.Some interesting stuff on there but how the hell do they expect to sell anything? :D :mad: :D another example
    Beggars belief doesn`t it?

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

The price for some things do as you say Dave beggars belief, however Here is quite a rare Alpha mount lens, but one that was very highly regarded, maybe if I win the lottery this week I'll get it ;)

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Mick is your 85 f/1.4 AF or is it an Older MC/MD manual mount, either way as you say the 85mm lenses are superb, as well as the f/2 manual MD mount, I've also got the last Minolta 85 f/1.4 AF version the GD which performs superbly on both the A900 and my older 7D as well as my film Dynaxes :D :D :D

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There's another seller (a German) who prices his collectables at unbelievable high BINs - but it's more a "look what I have" shop front. If approached with an offer he'll bargain, drop considerably and want to sell off eBay. Maybe this is the scheme here - against ebay's rules of course!

9. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Hi Ron,

It's the AF version.

Whilst we are on about lenses do you by any chance have the 300/2.8? You may remember me posting some time ago that I was given one.

Recently I've been using it on my 7D and have been a bit disappointed with the results. I expected top notch sharpness but don't get it. Obviously I'm using tripod/ cable release etc. Do you have any experience?

One factor is that the lens hood is jammed on (previous owner blamed sea spray!) so I'm wondering if something else is wrong. I'm dropping it in to Johnson's Photopia next week and for £100 they will fix it, do optical checks clean and adjust. Apparently it has to go to Germany to get the work done.

MickLL

10. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Yes that looks like one although I won't be sending for it to America. The price is not that bad considering that if you divide the cost dollars by 1.5 to convert to Pounds, Stirling. it then becomes reasonable.

As I said I had one about 18 years ago and the results were staggering, I would say better than even a NIkkor 20/2.8. Why I sold it I will never know.

Actually I have traced one here, but I have never dealt with the dealer and from what I have heard the dealer has something of a question mark over him. Matters have been raised on the forum before, but does anyone have anything to add? How reliable are they in sending goods, etc? I am talking about. NICHOLAS CAMERAS in Camden, London.

11. swanseadave

Same as you John.I`d heard things about Nicholas that would make me wary.It seems they don`t update their ads and the premises is a total shambles.

12. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

I think Nicholas Cameras are a non starter, in fact they don't even deserve to be in business.

I telephoned them and the gruff reply from some guy with a heavy accent didn't instil confidence.

He didn't have time to look now to see if they still had it and to call back tomorrow! What sort of a way is that to run a business?

Either they want to sell something or they don't. I will just keep on looking and perhaps something will appear.

Actually, as I found out, the lens in America is cheaper (including postage) than the one they were offering!

13. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Not the f/2.8 Mick I do have the 300 f/4 APO HS G, and it is very good from wide open all the way up the stops (on both A900 & 7D). I do remember reading reports about the Minolta 300 f/2.8 (I think the earlier AF versions) that they weren't the greatest wide open but once stopped down to f/4 then they were fine.
    Knowing the hood fitting mechanism, I can see that sea and the screw to locate the hood into the rim wouldn't agree, then again sea spray and lenses/cameras aren't normally a good mix, hope you get it sorted OK

14. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, I don't mean to hijack the post but it is kind of related and a quick answer/opinion will suffice.

I actually tried but not used, if you know what I mean, the Sigma 10-20mm DC lens on my film 800si and at 20mm wide open the vignetting is bareable, at least through the viewfinder while at 10mm you got the edges of the circle on the sides.At 20mm if you stop down to f8 it gets more noticeable but maybe still usable. Also, for this is convenient to either take the hood out or just turn it around. I reckon that at both lengths it is nothing that a bit of PP/cropping can't sort out. Has anyone tried this lens on a film camera or similar lens with any good results?

Thanks

15. swanseadave

Luis,have a look at these reviews for that lens.
    Unfortunately no one tested it on full frame but comments may be useful.

Hope it helps.Cheers

16. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Oh yes, it sure did help. I got meself a 15-20mm film zoomie now :)

Thanks!

17. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Patience was worth it. I have at last managed to find one of these little beauties. £149 it cost me. It is a real gem. Mostly made of metal (even the apperture ring!) with some of the elements moving when you focus close to compensate (like the Nikon 20/2.8). The results are STUNNING. As good if not better than anything else similar that I have used including the Nikon.

From F4 it is sharp corner to corner with very good contrast. The only downside is there is slight barrel distortion but in normal use this will not be a problem.

I am after a 85/F2 now.