1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mimi Mollica

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Oct 8, 2021.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I saw an interesting talk by Sicilian now in London Mimi Mollica last night in an RPS Doc Group Zoom session. https://www.mimimollica.com/ I wouldn't put him in the top rank of street / documentary photographers, but he seemed to be far wider in his approach than the likes of Shaller / Palha etc, who tend to crank out the same themes and style.
    I did notice that there is a section from him in the Street Photography Now book, which I have, so he is well on the map.
    Two interesting things in questions: first he met and was mentored by Martin Parr some time ago, which he credits very highly. Rates Parr as one of the very few geniuses out there, but Parr's mentoring didn't direct him towards Parr's own style and subjects, simply improved his own.
    Then, unlike those who insist on small cameras and prime 35mm/28mm lenses for Street, he uses anything and everything up to a Hasselblad. Says he chooses camera and lenses for the job at hand, not to impose his particular approach on it. Also not afraid to use long zooms to capture candids.
    He embellishes his projects with a lot of close-ups and semi-abstract shots that you could say might be anywhere, anytime, so it is not all rooted in time and place, but more in feel.

Dan S, zx9r and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

A pleasant fresh feel to those. I like the eclectic mix.

PS I agree the benefits of either face to face tuition or following someone, or as I did in the past, atttempting to emulate someone's images. I learnt a lot doing it and as he said, it doesn't mean you take the same style, you just boost your own creativity.

RovingMike likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Memories fade, eh?

That's the sort of stuff you can find in lots of photography books from the 1940s and '50s, where images from the Latin countries were included.

I have nothing against the pictures shown, several of them appeal to me, but apart from the presence of colour in some, they are business as usual.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes, I think that's the key point. If you are basically doing documentary, it is the places and times that change, not the pictures of them. Otherwise you are just falsifying what's there and not defining the time and place.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I like that. Annoying his website can't resize the images to fit my monitor though... ;)