1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Miller's Crossing Bridge – River Exe at Exeter (4<100kb)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by John_Baker, Dec 2, 2007.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

I was out early yesterday morning and took these of the Miller's Crossing Bridge at Exeter. The light was lovely, the river was swollen by the recent heavy rains – I thought I would share as I really enjoyed taking them. For the structural engineer types this I believe is an example of an asymmetric, fan arrangement, cable-stayed bridge!!! (The joy of google).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

The engineer has a sense of humour, I hope nobody tries to remove the wedge under the counterweight!!

Interesting place and, as you say, the light was right.

3. miked

miked Well-Known Member

They are very nice pictures, John. But where's Albert Finney with a tommy-gun?

4. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

whenever i pass here i always smile to myself, we stopped for a coffee in the pub right next to bridge my mate was paying he nearly had heart attack when she said how much :D before he could manage to open his mouth with a load of verbal abuse his missus ushered him away

so thanks john for bringing a smile to my face :D

and if he had a tommy gun he would have used it for sure

5. tessar

tessar Well-Known Member

Hi John,
    Good shots, particularly like the colour in No1, the trace of pink in the sky matching the tons of red earth in the Exe!
    Cheers Bill. :)

6. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Many thanks for all the comments – I must admit that I had to look up the “Albert Finney with a tommy-gun” reference!!! – But it would appear the film pre-dates the bridge by several years.

Bit more on the bridge...
    · Opened in 2002
    · 54 meters long
    · 2 x 6 metre 'mill' wheels to anchor the cabling supporting the bridge
    · Designed by Don Sharland and Clive Ryall - Devon County Council,
    · Built by Land and Marine Structures Ltd
    · Named after a public competition run by the Exeter Express and Echo

7. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Number 1 is my favourite. Will be back in Exmouth next Sunday will have to arrange a date to go out.