1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Micro 4/3 for Macro/Close up Photography

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by MJB, Aug 15, 2020.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm currently suffering from a bout of bad G.A.S. and contemplating getting a micro 4/3 CSC for my butterfly shots. Am I right in thinking the smaller sensor will be beneficial for this type of photography, both in magnification and managing depth of field. What are the potential disadvantages?

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I had a m43 system a few years back
    Close up macro would be ideal as you say the smaller sensor will give much better depth of field. whether the flash capabilities are a match for canon - I would seriously doubt it.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You get extra depth of field (a bit) and IBIS will counter more varied movement than lens stabilisation. There is a bit more pressure on lens resolution because the starting point is a smaller image but that is probably negligible with modern lenses.

Snorri likes this.
  4. pixelpuffin

Can I just add
    Last year when I had a crack at insects using both aps-c and FF with the 35mn macro stm and 60mn f2.8, dof was rarely a issue. May I ask what you use for macro now??

5. PeteRob

Martin already uses the best you can get! This is a case of iwantitis.

6. pixelpuffin

“Best you can get” which is??

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I currently use a 7d2 with a sigma 105mm macro. To get sufficient DOF for the butterflies I'll typically need f11/f14. Unless I've got things totally muddled, with an m43 and a 60mm macro lens I will get similar DOF at F5. 6, which means I can shoot in lower light of at higher shutter speeds.

8. pixelpuffin

Could you not try the 35 stm IS, amazing lens, I don’t know how close you get to the butterflies but the dof on the 35mm is pretty impressive. I might have a go tomorrow.

9. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I currently use a Nikon D800 and Nikkor 105mm macro (I don’t usually use flash).

I wouldn’t want to revert to a shorter focal length; butterflies don’t often stay put for me to get to 1:1. (I previously used a D90 with its smaller sensor and 85mm DX macro, and before that a Pentax film SLR with a 50mm “macro” that only went to half size).

I would value the more comprehensive stabilization of mirrorless.

I think the pixel pitch is more relevant than the sensor size; I’ll usually take a few shots as I gradually move in closer, and am happy to crop the best shot I get if there's more in the frame than I want. Smaller pixels mean better resolution in the focal plane, but worse image quality at a given ISO.

I think “extra depth of field” with m43 is rather a myth. My 105mm goes down to f/32, which is reported as f/57 at 1:1. Using that would be sacrificing more light admission and accepting more diffraction than I’m prepared to accept for butterflies (though I have used that aperture on some subjects with a tripod), and I’d meet the same compromises at f/16 with m43.

Although I value lens resolution in principle, macro lenses, being primes normally used at relatively small apertures, are generally very good, and I suspect the difficulties of getting a butterfly accurately in the very narrow focal plane mean that I would have to be very lucky to get a shot that was limited primarily by the quality of my 105mm, or any other decent macro.

I guess my ideal kit would be the Sony α7R IV (which has a similar pixel pitch to the previous generation of 16MPx m43 sensors and excellent low-light performance) with a rather longer focal length macro than the 90mm Sony offer. When Nikon launch the 105mm Z mount “Micro” in their roadmap, I’ll find that with the Z7 or its successor very tempting.

Chris

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Well the deed is done and the itch has been scratched. I took advantage of the many deals on the Olympus OM-D 10 mkIII around at the moment. It was a bit of a no-brainer as my wife is starting to struggle with the weight of her dslr, so she thinks I was only thinking of her best interests with the purchase.

EightBitTony and RogerMac like this.
  11. PeteRob

Which of course you were! I hope she lets you borrow it from time to time.

MJB likes this.
  12. pixelpuffin

No need to justify
    You succumbed....don’t dare lecture me in the future;)

You might as well go the whole hog and grab those matching lenses :eek:

MJB likes this.
  13. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Smart move. You’ve learned the ways Grasshopper, now go into the world and use your talents. ;)

MJB likes this.