1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest,

Nature photography is hugely popular, and there is always something more to learn. We've got the best photographers in this fascinating genre to share their tips and advice on the gear and techniques needed for stand-out shots, and inspire us with their wonderful images.

Whether you’re a beginner or intermediate photographer, and whether you're into flowers, insects or animals, you'll learn something new in this issue of 'Improve Your Photography' – and come away with your creative batteries fully charged.

Simply enter your details to receive your downloadable copy of 'Improve Your Photography – Nature'.

3. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Dismiss Notice

MF shutter assembly size

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, Jul 15, 2016.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Are MF shutter assemblies more or less uniform fitting? That is, the bit which fits onto the bellows.
    In other words, could I fit a working shutter from a dead camera to a working camera with a dead shutter, if they were different makes?

S

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hi Steve,

I believe there are at least two common standard sizes of shutters for MF cameras - which F Deckel (Compur) refer to as "0" and "00". The larger "0" size is used with the longer focal lengths of around 105mm commonly found on 6x9cm format cameras, and also some wide aperture (f/2.9 and wider) 75mm or 80mm lenses on 6x6cm or 6x4.5cm format cameras. The smaller "00" size is generally used with smaller aperture lenses on smaller formats. There are often differences in specifications between the different sizes of the same model of shutter - e.g. the size "0" Compur Rapid has speeds 1s - 1/400s and a delayed action, the "00" size has a top speed of 1/500s and no D/A.

This is a sweeping generalisation and there are probably exceptions, and hopefully someone else will have the more complete story.

Still, remember that the main makes of shutter - Deckel (Compur) and Gauthier (Prontor) were used on many different makes of camera often with various lens and shutter options, so it's quite likely that what you want to do is possible. I assume you're talking about swapping the complete lens and shutter assembly - reassembling a lens into another shutter is probably rather trickier.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Steve,

There are several standard sizes. The piece on my web-site about re-shuttering LF lenses comes at your question from a different angle, but many of the answers you need are there. Most shutters are size 0 or 1; the poisonous little 00 is rather rarer except with slow lenses; or on cheap cameras; or for extreme wide angles.

So yes, switching shutter assemblies is often quite easy, though you'll have to look out for interlinks (e.g. double exposure prevention, linked cocking). What cameras are you thinking of trying?

Cheers,

R.

4. steveandthedogs

Thank you gents.

The ones I'm thinking about are an Agifold body [75mm 6x6] and Ensign 820 [105mm 6x9] shutter assembly. I suspect I would probably have to use a cable release.

Alex - yes, the whole lot. They are a bit too delicate for a 2lb hammer and 12" adjustable!

S

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Steve,

How are you going to take care of the different bellows extensions at infinity? And indeed of focusing?

Cheers,

R.

6. steveandthedogs

Oooooh...

dear.

Bang goes another idea!

Thanks again Roger.

S

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Both agifold and ensign made their own non standard shutters. So are unlikely to be able to be fitted with each others lens components. However some ensign camers did have other lenses fitted but usually other ross ones.
    the other difficulty with swapping shutters with different lens components is that you have to swap the aperture plate as well.