1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Metabones Speedbooster - too good to be true?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Barney, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I've just come across Metabones Speedbooster telecons in a YouTube video and I'm intrigued. They look like they could be incredibly useful for portrait photographers and videographers using systems with smaller sensors but who also have a stock of full frame lenses. Has anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.metabones.com/assets/a/stories/Speed Booster White Paper.pdf

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Second post mentioning these in days - must be catching :)

3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Ooh, I didn't see the first one. I'll have a search.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's a question about fitting canon mount lenses to another mount - panasonic I think (can never remember models these days) - might be in beginners or lens or canon.

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I've found it thanks, I just searched for Metabones, but I've been watching a video that was linked to in the thread so I've forgotten where it was. :eek: :)

The GH4 looks like a real viable option with a Speedbooster for my Nikkors. They don't seem to suffer too many issues but have many benefits. It's certainly food for thought anyway.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Something well over a year ago Olympus took out a patent for something that looked very like the speedbooster, it certainly seemed to use the same physics. The suggestion was that using one plus a standard FF lens Oly could get a 4/3 sensor to function very like a standard FF camera. Nothing more was heard of it until the speedbooster surfaced. What I do not know is whether Oly could not get it working to their standards and licensed the patent or if it was just ripped off with minor changes

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

No reason why it would have been "ripped off." It's more than likely that the same idea was developed by two companies/people completely independently.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

This has been about for longer, so it's possible Oympus ripped this off, TBH - but it's not exactly rocket science, it's simply the reverse of a teleconverter, the idea has been around for many, many years - outrageous that people can patent such a thing, really.

9. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

It depends what has been patented and where. The patent may be for an aspect of the technology rather than the idea, and then again the US is rather more lax on the idea of 'novelty' and they get some things through that would not succeed in UK.

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux