1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Memory cards for K-5

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

I have been given a Kingston 16Gb elite 30Mb/sec SD card. Does anyone know if the K-5 can read and write to a card of this size please?

I friend said it may have an 8Gb limitation???? I ask because I have misplaced my Manual at the moment, not just being lazy!

Thanks,

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I have a GX 20 = K20 and I use 16gb cards in that
    (pictures are still not the best though :eek: must the cards eh)

3. Monobod

Thanks. I thought 8Gb was a bit small for Pentax......:)

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I've yet to go larger than 4GB :eek: and, initially, I never thought I'd go
    about 512MB .... so I could always put pics on CD's ;)

Cheers,

Jack

5. 20watt

20watt New Member

Be careful with any "SDHC" cards - Both my K5's read 16GB cards just fine, but ONLY the "non-SDHC" cards (i.e. class 10 or 6)

The two 16GB cards with "SDHC" on it can be used by my K5, but then any laptop I try to use them in won't read these cards - forcing me to use the usb-cable to get the pictures from my K5.

My 2 cents...

6. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

I use 3 x Extreme 16GB with K-5 with no problems whatsoever.

7. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Simply get a USB adaptor that reads SDHC cards - a very few quid from eBay - and plug that into the laptop and that will solve the problem.

8. Monobod

I have a multi card reader built into my computer under the disk drive slot, so that would probably work too if I had a problem. I assume the K-3 is bullet proof on this?

9. Done_rundleCams

Nothing, David, is bullet proof :D and, as for card readers, built in ones, in my experience, will, on occasion, screw up :( and as do external card readers :eek: However, the difference being, IMHO, I can carry around an extra external card reader ;)

Also, I had a fiddle with the K-3 a few days ago and, sadly, I really liked it :eek: ... :( .... :D

Cheers,

Jack

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

not quite as pocketable as your Q though....

11. Done_rundleCams

Nope, you got that right, David ;) and, amazing, how few pics I've taken
    with only having my GR IV around my neck :eek:

Cheers,

Jack