1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medium Format

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by daveproctor, Jun 23, 2000.

1. daveproctor

daveproctor Member

I'd like to try using medium format but having spent just about all of my cash on building up my 35mm outfit I don't want to trade in my EOS a) because I'd lose a fortune and b) because I love it to death!

Can anyone suggest a cheapish way of getting into medium format? I'm happy to have just one lens with the option to add more later and I don't really want to go over £300. Second hand is not a problem and I'm not really worried about loads of features.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted

2. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

If you are sure that you want lens interchangeability then any of the Mamaiya C series are excellent value. There are plenty of them around, but I suggest that you get to know the various models. A C3 and a couple of lenses can be had quite cheaply. Most of the bits and peices can be had - Porrofinder, screens etc.

A good standard Medium Format range is the Yashica, but no lens changing possible with these. I am using most versions of the above cameras and each has its pros and cons.

Have a search through AP and see what is on offer in the second-hand ads. I would be happy to give any help and advice on specific choices. Contact through this site.

3. 0

0 Guest

You could do far worse than going for a second hand Mamiya 645. Tere would be a couple of models within your price range (the 645 1000s and the 645J model.) These accept all the manual lenses in the 645 range. The only daw back is that these models don't have interchangeable backs but if thats not an issue, then I'd buy one. I've just upgraded myself from a 645 Super to a 645 AF and am extremely impressed.

4. tonymidd

tonymidd Well-Known Member

Agree with the advice to go for a Mamiya C330F or S if funds allow. The 6x6 format is much more versatile than 645 ( 645 is not that much bigger than 35mm to warrent the equipment weight) and quicker to use. An other good choice is one of the big Fuji's, the 670 or 690. Ok fixed lens but a very good one and very robust.

5. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

ive been asking myself what to buy. as i wated to dabble in 6x6. my girlfriend bought a TLR and weve had good fun with in a yashica 124G.. and its not a bad camera.. ad we picked it up for £100. But i need somthing a little better for a commision ive got,i also wanted the interchangeable backs as i want to do some polaroid work. so i spent alot of time on ebay.com.. and read up about KIEV cameras.. everyone says if you get a good one.. its great but you can get a sour one.. and only buy one made after 96.. so i followed advoce and bought one with a 2 6x6 backs one 6x4.5 a lens a prism off a nice guy in seattle. cost me £200. and its great.. russian cameras are known for there good glass. for the price.. and the KIEV 88 comes as a KIT. there are UK importors who sell with a warraty but are very expensiv you could pick up a second hand blad for the price they charge.. but many ebay users offer return periods and you can pick up great bargins. id check out a KIEV 88.. suberb camera for the price..

Im looking to be an assitant or for commsions.
    <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/on/aroof">http://www.angelfire.com/on/aroof</A>

6. tonymidd

An other thought on the subject of medium format, I do not know what you want it for, sounds as if Raz is doing a commision, if the ultimate quality is required why not go the whole hog and move up to 5x4? A good MPP can be picked up for around the £300 mark, E.E.Jones in Brownhills, West mids, has one in at the moment. You can contact print B/W with out much trouble, larger prints from a d/p house do not cost a fortune. Enlargers are around, I picked up an Ariston for £150 to go with my DeVere monorail which cost me £300 with a 150mm Apo Symar.
    It's real photography under the black cloth.

7. tonymidd

An other thought on the subject of medium format, I do not know what you want it for, sounds as if Raz is doing a commision, if the ultimate quality is required why not go the whole hog and move up to 5x4? A good MPP can be picked up for around the £300 mark, E.E.Jones in Brownhills, West mids, has one in at the moment. With all the movements you can get sharp images from 2' to infinity at full aperature. You can contact print B/W with out much trouble, larger prints from a d/p house do not cost a fortune. Enlargers are around, I picked up an Ariston for £150 to go with my DeVere monorail which cost me £300 with a 150mm Apo Symar.
    It's real photography under the black cloth.

8. 0

0 Guest

Reference tony Midd's comments about the relative merits of 35mm, 645 and 6x6;
    It must be pointed out that 645 offers around two and three quarters the image size of 35mm, whereas 6x6 only offers another third increase on that. The difference between 35mm and 645 is therefore substantial. Many users also find the 3:2 image ratio of 645 easier to work with after experiencing 35mm. Not everyone takes to the square format. Cost is another factor with modern 6x6 cameras being both more expensive to buy and also involve greater running costs.
    There are plenty of cameras to choose from including those mentioned. It is simply a metter of finding the one that suits you best.

9. chicagobob

chicagobob Member

I do not have a Kiev 88, but I do own two Kiev60s. I purchased the rebuilt and guaranteed model from KievUSA (395 dollars) and I Kiev60MLU I bought on EBay and
    had cleaned lubricated and adjusted. I have the 80mm,the 45mm lense, and the Fisheye.
    The cameras work well. Easy to focus. The pictures - when I do it right - are
    far superior to 35mm and APS.
    You have to put black electricion tape over the white metal aperture lever on 80mm lenses, otherwise there will be a light leak if you focus closer than five feet!
    All three lenses are beautiful picture takers.