1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Medium Format

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Michael King, May 9, 2000.

1. Michael King

Michael King New Member

I am thinking of having a go at medium format and intend going in via the second hand market. I am now confused because I don't know which camera to opt for: Bronica, Mamiya or Pentax. What lens/lenses I would need for portrait/general stuff, or even what I would get for a budget of £400 to £500. Browsing the classifieds has served to illustrate how many options there are.
    Is there anybody out there able to offer sage like guidance? (without trying to flog me their old camera that is).

2. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Well I've got an old Broni...... Just jokeing!!! My advice is as like you say their is such a wide range of kit to choose from that you get in touch with Jessops. Just nip to your local store and while they may not have much second hand medium format kit they have a very large stock that they can order free of charge. All will be covered by a gaurantee as well which is a bonus. You can tell them what you requirments are and they will tell you the best to go for! They will then see if they have a second hand model in stock and if so it will be delived to the store for you to try out! I've allways shoped with Jessops and have only recenly had a small problem which I must admit was sorted out very quickly!

Mario Greppi
    Web site: Dreamphotos.tripod.com
    Email: Dreamphotos@email.com

3. chicagobob

chicagobob Member

I have a Kiev 60, 80mm, 45mm, and 30mm (fisheye) lenses.
    I scan the negatives at 1200 dpi on Epson 1200.
    My 8 by 8 inch prints are exceptionally nice.
    You might take a look at the Russian and Ukrainian Camera Enthusiasts site
    on Delphi. com.
    The beast is best at carefully thought out shots on a tripod and hand-held using flash.
    Fuji NHG 800 color negative gives beautiful results, there Neopan 400 is also quite nice. Ilford 3200 gives you an enormous negative to work with for
    available light.
    Basic Kiev60 kit runs 200 dollars. You will have to spend 75 dollars on a clean, lube and adjust. The beast takes great photos.
    Bob

4. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

I have been collecting and using 6x6 gear for a long time, and I still don't think that the Mamiya C3, 330, 220 series can be equalled for verstility and usability. A shame that production has stopped, but they are holding their prices. The Yashicas are excellent as well if your budget doesn't stretch to a Rollei or Hasselblad.

5. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

I agree with what Mario said. Determine what you want to do with them and go from there. Although most of the manufacturers have their latest and greatest cameras on their sites, there is information out there about their old models. I have a Mamiya M645 and RZ 67 [6x4.5 and 6x7 formats respectively] and enjoy using them for general things mostly, though I will be trying an infrared roll in the RZ soon. I've had good results with both of them. Good hunting!

6. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Member

Michael
    I made the move upto MF 12 months ago and wish I had done it a lot sooner. If I may make three brief points. The first problem I had was finding information about the camera etc, some of which may have been introduced 20 years ago. May I suggest you get in touch with Oldtimer cameras via AP. For a small fee they will put together a book of test reports of the MF cameras you have in mind. Secondly, along with the camera, be prepared to replace some of you existing bits and pieces such as filters, cable releases, tripod etc. MF cameras are bigger and heavier than 35 mm and the extra bits can add up. Finally, beware !!! Once you've seen the results of 6x45 you'd wish you'd have bought a 6x7 :^) Whatever you buy, enjoy it.

regards

Steve