1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medium Format and M42 lenses

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by stephentaylor, Dec 5, 2009.

1. stephentaylor

stephentaylor Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I want to have a go at medium format. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use my 35mm M42 or K-mount lenses with a medium format body, and, if so, where could I get an adapter?

Thanks
    Steve

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

All medium format bodies that I know of are big, much bigger than 35mm bodies, and will space your lens further away from the film plane, and consequently your M42 or K-mount lens will only focus on items which are close to the camera - if indeed they can be focused at all. You might be able to find an adapter with a correction lens built in, but your problem then is that the correction lens will add its faults to your system.

If you're simply interested in medium format I'd recommend a 120 folder. Good examples are available from camera fairs from £5 up to several £00. If you want an MF SLR or similar keep away from the Rollei 6006 range - I got badly burnt.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The simple answer is no. A 35mm lens would be unable to cover the area of a medium format frame, a bit like using a lens meant for crop frame digital on a full frame sensor body.

If you fancy trying MF, you could try a folder, as suggested, or look at a MF slr camera. There are plenty of Mamiya and Bronica 645 format cameras around at low prices, or also Pentax 645 and 6x7, although the latter is very heavy.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Steve,

I believe you can the Pentax Medium format lenses on 35mm but not the other way .... and for
    reasons mentioned above :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

There are adapters that allow use of the Pentax 67 lenses on the 645 and 35mm mount cameras.

There are also adapters to use the 645 lenses on the 35mm mount cameras.

However, the lenses are big and would be a bit out of proportion on a DSLR.

6. stephentaylor

stephentaylor Well-Known Member

Thank you all. So what is the difference between Pentax 67 and 645?
    Thanks
    Steve

7. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

The negative size for the Pentax 67 is 7cm x 6cm (10 on a roll of 120 film) and for the 645 6cm x 4.5cm (16 on a roll of 120 film). The 67 is a (much)larger and heavier version of a 35mm slr, whilst the 645 is a more traditional medium-format camera.

8. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

645 cameras give exposures 6cm x 4.5cm on 120 or 220 film.

67 cameras give exposures 6cm x 7cm on 120 or 220 film.

In other words, different formats, both of which are capable of superb results.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would add to the above, there is another major difference, aside from the format and size/shape of the cameras. The Pentax 645 arrived in the market much later than the 6x7 and as such is a camera with more modern electronics. It therefore has built in automatic exposure modes, in many respects it is similar to a late electronic manual focus 35mm slr. The 6x7 is more old fashioned, friends who have owned these have had problems with the large shutter at 1/1000th sec. This has taken the form of running slow, when the camera is older shutter tapering has reared it's ugly head. There appear to be few repairers who can tackle these with success.

10. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Does anyone have a picture of a 645 they can post here?

11. Done_rundleCams

Here ya go David:

[​IMG]

and if ya fancy a few more pics of 'em .... Click here my lad :D

Cheers,

Jack

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lovely. That model (the 645N-II) still sits as possibly the most comfortable camera I have ever held. Great ergonomics, and the shutter sound is brilliant. Loud, but brilliant. :D

13. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, isn't it luverley! :D

14. Done_rundleCams

Merry Christmas David ;)

Cheers,

jack