1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meanwhile in England

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, May 7, 2021.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's revealing to see those who have a poor opinion of our abilities to be independent.
    It would be interesting to see how well you all manage without us.

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Scotland will manage very well being independent. The Scots have a good reputation for financial probity. (financial not political probity) The point some of are making is that the wonderful spending plans will be severely curtailed. Economically independence will hurt.
    When we Brexiteers wanted rid of the domination by France and Germany we were very economical with the truth in order to get our way. I suggest that Ms Sturgeon and her followers are behaving in exactly the same way in order to break away from Britain.
    Do you agree with this summary https://theconversation.com/the-sta...lections-mean-for-the-future-of-the-uk-159864 .

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting that Scotland couldn't, eventually, balance a budget but few countries get anywhere near doing so and the announced spending plans aren't, as far as I can see, calculated to achieve that end.

My concern is that it was a Scottish king that took the throne of England so it is, in fact, we the English who should be seeking independence from Scotland, which we aren't.

4. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

You now have a German Queen and our problem is the Union of Parliaments rather than Union of Crowns. You are welcome to keep the Queen as far as I am concerned.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know. Look at Denmark, Ireland, Lithuania - all roughly same popn. ana how are they doing? Oh, er, well there must be somewhere not doing well.

S

Zou and Catriona like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

No thank you. You have them. Put them on St Kilda or somewhere

S

Catriona likes this.
  7. WillieJ

You will be suggesting wallpaper coloured with arsenic dyes next!;)

Zou likes this.
  8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The SNP have suggested they would raise pensions and I have posted the fact check article on that before. Graphics like the one in this link are popular in unofficial propaganda too.

https://fullfact.org/europe/pensioners-eu-uk/

The way they plan to pay for it appears to be population growth facilitated by turning green space into luxury housing miles away from shops, schools and bus routes. At least they seem to factor in plenty space for parking in these new estates:).

9. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

She is descended from both Robert 2nd and James 6th....

10. WillieJ

OK, St Kilda it is. Tourist tours will be arranged.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. WillieJ

:p

12. Learning

Now grave humour has its place. Please restrict wallpaper coloured with arsenic dyes to the flat above no 11.

13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

She is actually Elizabeth the Second, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So at the moment sunshine, she's yours as well.

;)

14. steveandthedogs

Of England, surely. Liz the First of Scotland

S

15. Learning

Yes. James would have been a better example. These are not sensible arguments.
    Also why are we on this thread.
    Why hasn't a Scott set up a dedicated thread?

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Don't think anyone by that name posts here?

Learning likes this.
  17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Elizabeth de Burgh was the second wife and the only queen consort of King Robert the Bruce.

18. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yup! Maggie Thatcher did a superlative job with that...

19. WillieJ

You appear to have missed the point by a country mile. If she was not currently my Queen I would have no need to want to offload my share.
    Oh and Queen consorts don't count and are of even less consequence than actual Queens or Kings.

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

No you said WE (the English I assume) have a German queen and could keep her. My point is she is yours as well. Fairly simple point I would have thought. I can’t see the point in going over the same ground continuously so will withdraw from this thread.