1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meanwhile in England

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, May 7, 2021.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nottinghamshire has become Tory from NOC. Labour have lost 8 councillors and Conservatives gained six.

There was also the little matter of a by election up in the North East.

So far things seem to be satisfactory.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Labour in shock "tell the left wing to eff off and they will" discovery.

peterba likes this.
  3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Spin alert...Tories lost a seat but that's not important...

peterba likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Incidentally, aren't the Greens doing well.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Healthy showing...

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Hartlepool was hardly a shock. 10,000 voted for the Brexit party at the last election and there was no candidate this time. Highly unlikely they were going to vote Labour this time.

7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Hearing voices today in the media saying that Labour has to "change", if it wants to win power.

Quite right... it's absolutely imperative that it elects a pathological liar as leader, and produces a range of policies which are socially and economically damaging - especially for the least well-off. Some window-dressing 'green' policies would also help.

Get that lot in place, and it'll get elected. That's for sure.

daft_biker, Petrochemist, Zou and 4 others like this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Forensic Keir notes, for a change, that change is needed to change the change that they are changing in the policies and change the pace of the change in the changes thereof.

peterba likes this.
  9. Learning

Yes. lose one gain two is not bad.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Haven't you guys worked it out yet? Mt General Public will vote for the party that makes me richer and promises to help the NHS/Teachers/Police/insert favourite cause.
    Labour won't make Mr General Public richer so he won't vote for them.
    The Green part won't let Mr General Public have a bigger car or foreign holiday so he won't vote for them
    The Lib Dems won't let Mr General Public trample on his neighbour so he won't vote for them
    Guess who remains?

For Mr read Mr or Mrs, for him read him/her etc.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Cf:

12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Makes a change

Zou likes this.
  13. peterba

The "Guess who remains" option ALSO won't make Mr/Mrs/Ms General Public richer, and certainly not 'better off' in a more general sense. If we're having trouble working anything out, it's why Mr/Mrs/Ms General Public seems to believe that it will, when all the evidence shows that it doesn't.

It's a supremely brilliant, utterly repugnant, con-trick.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. peterba

Got any change, guv?

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Nah, gave my last 2p worth earlier.

peterba likes this.
  16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Intrigues me when I hear the term 'better off'.
    Better off than what?
    I'm not rich, but I'm not poor.
    My health is ok for my age.
    I have a fantastic family with three wonderful grandchildren
    My hobbies are cycling & photography, both of which I am totally free to do twelve months of the year.
    If anyone was to tell me a few extra quid in my pocket each week would make me 'better off', I don't think so.

Now I know there are many who need the extra money. But more often than not it's those with enough money who want more.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Better off for me is the peace of mind that the leader of the government isn't a lying narcissist, that my taxes aren't being spent on killing Yemenis, and that if I am ill a well-resourced NHS will be there for me. Money in my pocket has very little to do with it.

beatnik69, gray1720, WillieJ and 4 others like this.
  18. peterba

This forum needs a Like Very Much Indeed button. Sometimes, Like just doesn't cut it.

gray1720, spinno and Zou like this.
  19. Learning

The leader of your government might well be a lying narcissist (but not as bad as Trump). Your taxes are not being spent on killing Yemenis. Do you really want Iranian backed terrorists to take over Yemen. The NHS is struggling. If the money in your pocket has very little to do with it then you have more than enough.

20. peterba

"Might well be"?

steveandthedogs likes this.