1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me again with another Nikon A question

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Ron Clark, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Ron Clark

Ron Clark Member

My Z50 was bought as a two lens kit, along with the adapter for my older Nikon glass: my question then, does the adapter increase the focal length and if so, by how much please.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Does it have glass in it? In so called mirrorless cameras the sensor is closer to the front of the camera than in SLRs. A lens made for an SLR has therefore to be mounted in a forward position. Adaptors usually just provide this gap and preserve both focal length and focussing range, unlike teleconverters or extension tubes.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The FTZ adaptor is just a tube it has no optical elements therefore it has no effect on focal length.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Focal length is always the same anyway, it's just the usual 1.5X factor of a full frame lens on a crop frame body.

5. PeteRob

The focal length is what it is. The field of view is registered by the sensor depends on the sensor size - whence "cropped" and "crop sensor" by convention applied to an APS-C sensor relative to a 35 mm film frame. The notion "equivalent focal length" is that (longer) focal length that would have to be used on a 35 mm frame to match the field of view observed with the APS-C sensor. It is all very oblique. It was arguably necessary 20 years ago when digital was new, only APS-C sensors were available (but not lenses made for the APS-C cameras) and the target market was film photographers familiar with what their lenses showed. Nowadays it is a bit of a relic. It is easier to learn that a focal length of 18 mm is a wide-angle lens on APS-C than to learn that 18 mm is "equivalent to 28 mm which used to be considered a standard wide-angle on a film camera".

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Both absolutely correct however the question was "does the adapter increase the focal length and if so, by how much please." The answer remains no because the FTZ is simply a tube.

7. PeteRob

Which was already answered.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes, by myself.

9. Ron Clark

Ron Clark Member

Thanks again for the replies