1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

May bug

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by intruder2000, May 24, 2020.

1. intruder2000

intruder2000 Well-Known Member

Had a few vistors earlier this month . Cockchafer beetle also know as a May bug . Strange beetles noisy and very clumsy flying .

[​IMG]Cockchafer by Lee Black, on Flickr

All comments welcome

Cheers Lee

Learning and AndyTake2 like this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Very nice image. Need Mick to give thumbs up before you celebrate, though ;)

3. intruder2000

intruder2000 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike . Just happy to celebrate capturing one of these critters ha ha . Always interested to hear peoples critique good or bad i have learnt so much from it .

4. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Lovely image and nicely caught. When you look at the bulk of the thing, it's a wonder that it flies at all.

But beware of keeping it around. You really don't want to get its larvae into your lawn.

5. RovingMike

Is that the one that eats out under the turf and it just comes away by the handful?

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The larvae eat the roots. The only time I’ve seen one of those was when aerating some very unhappy lawn. It must have been just about to emerge when the turf came away.

7. RovingMike

I had a long conversation with groundsman at Epsom the other year when they had to cancel race meetings. He showed me why and just grabbed the turf and lifted it off. Horses just skid and break their legs.

They were laying the turf upside down for crows to eat the larvae before replacing and pinning it down to re-root.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I have nothing constructive to add, except they strike fear into me when airborne! :eek:

9. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Certainly if you find yourself in the kind of huge swarm of the flying bugs that they can create on a sports field, they can be quite disconcerting; especially if they get inside your clothes.

I should also have said, that apart from the damage that the larvae create by eating the roots of the turf, the birds that hunt them, corvids for example, can wreck the surface of a lawn by their widespread digging.

Craig20264 likes this.