1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Mask and gloves

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have started to visit local supermarkets that have sensible policies, no issues although some of the customers seem obviously to the social distancing rules. Some customers wear gloves and masks, most do not. Are members of the forum using gloves and masks?

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Face covering in shops....Nicola telt me.

Graeme

3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

As a person very much at risk my advice, backed up by my medical professionals is....
    Outdoors - Gloves, because anything you touch could be contaminated and Covid 19 lives a long time on plastic, up to 72 hours if I remember, and read up on how to take them off without contaminating yourself. Hand sanitiser in the pocket at all times.

Indoors - Avoid going indoors where possible, but always use gloves & face mask indoors. Warning: asthmatics shouldn't wear masks since prolonged use may induce an attack, and certainly induce laboured breathing. The PEE2/N95 medical grade are hard work with breathing, unless you have the more expensive ones fitted with breather valves. Learn how to fit it and how to remove it without contaminating yourself. This still stands as 3 June for me.

Never eat or drink anything out at the moment unless it comes pre wrapped and you open it with gloves on or spray your hands/gloves and wrapper first, but caution is required.

Wash hands on entering home, avoiding touching anything until you do.

Remember, many thousands are still catching this and the death rate is still well over 300 daily.

Personally, shops are a no go zone for quite some time for me and all my shopping, including garden supplies, is done on line. My wife wipes all the shopping down after spraying it with a medical grade, but safe, spray. The question is, do you really need to go to the shops?

I'm not bloody going on ECMO again thanks, and while this is on going I'll put up with avoiding all shops until well into next year if necessary.
    If you want to go out and be 99% safe you will need to follow these guidelines.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    swanseadave and Bazarchie like this.
  4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Only been in one shop since lockdown began, and I did wear face covering and gloves. It was a chemist to pick up a prescription. Youngest daughter is working 13 hour shifts on a covid ward and would probably disembowel me it I showed signs of going into a shop without mask and gloves

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Gloves are a bit of an awkward thing because although they'll protect you directly from anything you touch, they will also spread anything that is already there onto anything you touch - something you need to be wary of. I once gave myself chemical burns to the back of my neck because I took a mask off first, before I took the gloves off, and there was just enough still on the gloves... So you could be spreading stuff from the last place you were, especially if you are going from place to place in the same gloves. You also need to be wary of touching your face more because of adjusting the mask etc for similar reasons.

It's a minefield, frankly.

Bazarchie and Stephen Rundle like this.
  6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Bit of an understatement regards minefield, self contamination is the never event happening every day in my limited experience. :eek::eek::eek::eek:;)

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I wear a mask in the supermarket. I wish everyone else would do so. A mask is of more benefit to people other than the wearer.
    I would not want to follow someone around a supermarket, or indeed be followed. Briefly passing somebody or being briefly passed is probably not dangerous unless they are coughing their guts up or sneezing.
    I am visiting the supermarket every two weeks or so but have replaced some of those visits with deliveries.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not been in a shop since mid March. Have taken delivery of a box of disposable surgical style masks just in case, but any return to work will only be when safe to do so and will probably involve a visor rather than mask. Still too early to say for sure though.

When doing DIY I can only manage a few minutes at a time using dust masks so I'm hoping to get to work on bicycle rather than bus and hopefully avoid the need for masks as much as possible. I haven't been wearing gloves outside because I haven't been touching anything outside.

9. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

I do laugh when I see people using masks and gloves in Tesco, taking a trolly that may have been sanitized and then picking up one of those self service hand devices you scan your shopping with that has NOT been and using it, they just get put back.

I carry a spray of isopropyl alcohol and surgical spirit and spray things myself.

I have always done this, I am fully aware of the men and women who lerave the toilets without washing their hands, which is why I also NEVER buy unwrapped food such as cakes and bread. You don't know who has been to the toilet, picked it up and put it back on the shelf.

zdrulcfnhg.jpg

10. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

The WORST offenders who I find do not stay the 6' are the elderly, how many times have I been closed up on in a shop by a pensioner and I AM over 60

However we can be assured that the human race has never been so clean, but there are elements in society who will always be dirty and not wash

Scphoto likes this.
  11. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Some of the pensioners ideas of 2 metres round here are gas and electricity! Nothing to do with social distancing!

Trannifan and Zou like this.
  12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Mask in shops.

Lynn

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

The chemist delivers my prescriptions automatically as they become due. I hear the door bell ring and there they are on the doorstep and the delivery driver well distanced away hallway up the garden path waiting to make sure I appear to pick them up. :)

14. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I don't wear gloves that is on the advice of a friend who is a nurse and points out they wear gloves for a specific task then bin them, she says as soon as gloves touch something anything that is on that surface is transferred to the glove and then it stays on them unless you contaminate another surface.
    I do occasionally wear a mask but the trouble is the only ones that are really effective are the ones used in clinical settings and these are just ordinary ones. I pop one on when boarding a train or a bus because sometimes its hard to social distance (although not on the tube, I wonder where the papers get these pictures of packed carriages? Do they just hire extras? Bow Road reopened last week and it is deserted of a morning today there were 2 people including me on the platform and hardly anyone on the train)
    Fortunately most of the time people seem to be good about social distancing around where I live although what may help is we have incredibly wide pavements
    What I do a lot is wash my hands and use hand sanitiser

GeoffR likes this.
  15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

We did ask for that facility but we are not in the most vulnerable group

16. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There are plenty of other ways if your chemist you use won't deliver (though this does surprise me). For example https://www.well.co.uk/landing

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I wear a mask. Rarely wear gloves. If I do I know how to take them off safely and dispose in a bin at the supermarket.

I am prompted to reply to this thread now because I have just been to the shop. An oldish guy in the queue behind me took out an old pair of once white surgical gloves. There were several tears in them and the colour of the fingers would make you’d think they’d been used for a rectal exam!
    What is the point?!

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Psychosomatic.

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not got gloves or masks. I wash my hands when I get home as I always do because they are usually dirty and I have hand sanitiser for between the car and the customers.

20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

No need for gloves and mask if I don’t go out. I don’t see much has changed so other than an upcoming hospital appointment we don’t intend to venture out.
    Don