1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual "X" Minoltas

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by arri, Sep 2, 2002.

1. arri

arri Active Member

Could someone please tell me, in a nutshell, the difference between the X300, X350, X500 and X700? Jessops sell a new X370 for around £169, with 35-70 Minolta zoom. Second hand mint X300's seem to go for £129 with a 1.7 prime.
    For an additional 30 quid........

Arri

2. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

The X300 and X370 have virtually identical spec. The main difference is that the 370 is made in China, and like virtually all Chinese made cameras, the build quality is suspect. Given a choice between just these two, I'd go for the used 300 any day. Both models have Aperture Priority and Manual modes.

The X700 is the top model in the X series range, and is a cracking camera. It adds Program mode as well as a much better build qaulity.

The X500, was in the middle, (Cunning or what? /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif), not as good as the 700, but nevertheless a very capable camera.

I'd recommend a S/H X-700 if you can find a good one, and can afford the extra dosh. Otherwise, go for the 500 or 300 in that order, but avoid the X370 - It's quite awful by comparison.

It's been a while since I've used any of my Minolta X???s, and can't quite remember the full spec. on each model, but I'll dig 'em out later today and give you more details.

Geoff

3. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Graham,

There has been quite a selection of X-series Minoltas on E-bay, http://pages.ebay.co.uk/index.html. recently, as Geoff has pointed out you could probably pick up a X-300/500/700 with good prime lenses for less money than you are talking about spending new.
    Definetely worth thinking about!

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

4. arri

arri Active Member

Thank's Geoff - I just have an overwhelming desire to have a mechanical X Minolta in my collection again - silly but true.

Is the X700 the same basic body as the 300? (Weight, size?)

Arri

5. Little_miss13

Little_miss13 Well-Known Member

I have an x700. It has been my first and only SLR to date. i love it, wouldn't be without it. Its easy to use. The Program mode is great if your feeling lazy or need to take a pic in a hurry. It's very self explanatory.

&lt;font color=purple&gt; Nikki &lt;/font color=purple&gt;
    &lt;A HREF="http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald"&gt;http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald&lt;/A&gt;

6. Canonball

The overall body styling on all the X series is pretty much the same, so they're all the same size, but the X-700 is better built and a bit heavier than the rest, and has a better specification. I think the 700 is still in production, or, at least, it was until very recently.

And of couse, wanting one is definitely <font color=red>NOT SILLY!<font color=black> /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff

7. Canonball

That's true Nikki. They're very intuitive in use. There's no need to wade through the manual,
    just take it out of the box and use it!

A potential Classic? /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff

8. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Used to have an X700 myself and loved it. Great camera (former European Camera of the year BTW) and I agree with Geoff that it should be granted clasic status. It's Program/Aperture priority/manual in the exposure mode department and although it's now sadly out of production there are still many clean examples about for not too much dosh.

BigWill

&lt;font color=blue&gt;Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!&lt;font color=black&gt;

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I prefer the slightly older Xs myself - XG series, XD series etc.

Nick BSRIPN

10. Canonball

Why, the rotten buggers. They've gone and killed it off.

It was still shown on their website until just a couple of months ago. /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Geoff

11. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Not yet Geoff, the X-700 along with the X-370 is still on the Minolta site, I'm therefore presuming that there are still supplies available.

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

12. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Jessops, who are a pretty good indicator of what's available for sale, no longer list the X700 but the X370 is listed in their latest catalogue.

BigWill

&lt;font color=blue&gt;Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!&lt;font color=black&gt;

13. Canonball

Hi Graham,

As I said, the X300 X370 & X370s are very similar, with Aperture Priority & Manual modes, film speeds are
    from ISO 12-3200. The X300 is better built and slightly heavier, has a metal back with a holder for the end of the film box. The 370s has a plastic back with a film speed window. Neither take a data back, but both take
    a winder, and simple dedicated flash which just sets the sync speed. The X300 & X370 were silver, the X370s is black. The back on the X300 has a textured finish, but the one on the 370s is smooth black plastic, rather like the Canon T60, which feels quite cheap and nasty.

The X500 also has a PC socket, DoF preview, extra flash dedication (with an additional contact), an audible signal for the self timer, and will take a data back.

The 300, 370 & 500 will work with either MC or MD lenses.

The X700 adds program mode, exposure compensation /- 2 stops in 1/2 stop increments, but the film speed range is only between ISO 25-1600.

The XD5 also has Shutter Priority, but no program mode, has exposure compensation and film speed range of ISO 12-3200.

The X700 and XD5 require the MD lenses for Program and Shutter Priority, but will work in Aperture Priority or Manual with MC lenses, and retain full aperture metering.

They all have shutter speeds from 1-1/1000th sec.

Geoff

14. Canonball

Not any more Ron. /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

The X700 was shown on Minolta's website until very recently, along with the X370s. I just looked earlier
    tonight, and only the X370s is there now.

Geoff

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Manual "X" Minoltas/: Arri/ Cnnbl

"The X700 is the top model in the X series range, and is a cracking camera. It adds Program mode (and Shutter Priority - I think) as well as a much better build qaulity."

&gt;&gt; Geoff,
    the X700 is only Program, Aperture-Priority and Manual mode. I believe
    the only MF Minolta was the XD-11 which was almost identical to the
    Leica R4 or R3. &gt;&gt;

"The X500, was in the middle, (Cunning or what? ), not as good as the 700, but nevertheless a very capable camera."

&gt;&gt; Geoff,
    Yep, the X-500 had Aperture-Priority and Manual mode. &gt;&gt;

Arri,

If you want a truely Manual Mechanical Minolta you will have fight Ron M
    for the last remaining SRT 101's in the UK and elsewhere and, godforbid,
    you find a Minolta 85/2.0 lens.&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

16. Canonball

No Jack, the Minolta XD5/7/11 bore no resemblance to any Leica. The XE-1/5/7 did, but it shared much of its design with the R5, not the R3 or R4. The XD5 is tiny by comaprison.

Geoff

17. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Geoff,

Ok. I knew that one of the Minolta bodies and one of the Leica (R) bodies
    had something in common but I was never entirely sure of which two.

&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

18. Canonball

Well, now you do, so pay attention Jack, 'cos I might just be asking questions later! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff

19. arri

arri Active Member

O.K. Guys, calm down! I have picked upa very very mint black X300 body and a F3.5 135mm Tele-Roccor MC from Jessops Classic Camera shop for £75 and £35 resp. Now I have to find a 50/1.4 prime to match.

Amazing - after using an AF camera, I have very quickly forgotten that f-stops are around the lens barrel, and that one has to wind the advance lever to take a shot. But what a joy!

Arri

20. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

The X700 was the top end model at the time. The X300 was the consumer model,no Depthe of field,and no program mode,just aperture priority,yet still a great camera(I had one for 7 years!)
    The X500 is similar to the X300 but with depth of field preview and contacts for databack on the bottom,a kind of hybrid between the 2.It was discontinued not long after as it was considered too close in spec to the X300 yet not offering enough of a difference to warrant the higher price.
    X700 has depth of field preview,program,aperture priority and manual.Has TTL flash(I think)
    I weanted one for years!

&lt;b&gt;I should be researching