1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual Minolta

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by RonM, Feb 17, 2002.

1. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I admit it I have become a Cameraholic (to be exact a Minoltaholic).
    In an earlier thread I started in the Lounge I stated that going to car rallies and seeing people with 'manual' SLR's is what started the bug. Now I've never owned a manual SLR, and reading all the posts from folk like Geoff (Canonball), Nick (Inflatable), Clive (Fangs), Brian (Slimey) etc., I now find that I am really serious about aquiring one.
    So, I have an iminent birthday approaching and have some spare funds available, I have being doing a bit of research and in terms of manual Minoltas I have narrowed it down to an SR-T 303 or the XD-7 both cameras of the 1970s and mating either one up with a 50mm f/1.4 MD Rokkor lens should provide me with a more than capable Manual SLR set-up.
    The question is which should I go for? All you experienced 'collectors'! which 'body' should I get? and are there any problems that I should be aware of? before I commit myself.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Having recently nearly bought an SR-T 201 and an XD 7 (and an X700!), I oersonally would go for the SRT. Why? Because it's the real manual focus experience. The XD7 was the first multimode SLR, is a lovely camera, but has too many features for me. The SRTs are solid, fantastic, basic camers that don't have gadgets and gizmos to get in the way of picture taking (when you want the gadgets and gizmos, you've already got a brilliant camera for all that!).

Nick NRIPN

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Don't know about those two Ron but I once owned a Minolta X700 which was a superb camera and handled really nicely with the Motordrive 1 I had permanently attached to it. Was heavy right enough with all the batteries the motordrive took but was really solid in the hand and on a monopod. When you screwed the motordrive off it (like many manual cameras) you had a light and almost pocketable body. (body in one pocket, lens in the other or you end up with torn pockets!). I can certainly see the attraction of manual focus and I actually prefer the "feel" of the metal bodies and the control manual focus gives you. Still wouldn't be without AF for those "pressure" situations when you need a guaranteed result. Love my OM2SP and OM10 though.

BigWill

4. BigWill

....does the XD7 have TTL flash Ron?

BigWill

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Nick,

I don't know if I could go completely without any gadgets and gizmo's remember I'd be going from a Dynax 7 (does everything but make the toast and boil the kettle) to manual everything! don't know if the brain could cope with such a difference!

Will,

Don't know about TTL flash on the XD 7 would need to do a bit more research!

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN

6. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Hi Ron,

I would tend to agree with Nick, and go for the SRT 303.
    I would guess that the XD-7, which I don't have, is fairly similar to the XD-5 which I do have, and don't particularly like. The XD-5 has more features than the SRT but is much smaller, being of similar size to the Olympus OM10 or Pentax ME/ME Super. That's probably it's biggest 'Fault' in my view, - I've got hands the size of shovels, so I find it a little fiddly to use. The SRT 303 on the other hand, is a beauty, built like a brick outhouse, and I'd say it's my 2nd favourite manual Minolta, after the XE-1, now that is one classy bit of kit, and has the dubious distinction of sharing it's shutter and several other bits with the Leica R5. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff

(Looks like another convert eh, Nick?) /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Anyway, wasn't Manual Minolta a Mexican revolutionary?

Nick NRIPN

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

You guys are bad news! I've got to admit I'd already heard some good stuff about the SRT's, but, some of the 'extra' goodies on the XD 7 sort of drew me towards it. Then last night I spoted an XD 7 &#43 50 mm f/1.4 for £149, now I'm swithering and now need to go hunting for a 303 &#43 50 mm f/1.4 .
    This camera collecting is hard work!

/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN

9. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Nah! its as easy as falling off a log. You just buy anything you fancy that you can afford. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Or even that you can't really afford!
    The difficulty lies in stopping......

Nick BSRIPN

11. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Are you guys trying to get me into some serious debt here, or, is it you're trying to assuage a bit of guilt, in that you'll be able to say to your other halves, Look dear there's that Ron he's got a classic minolta that I've not and he says its the best thing since sliced bread, I'll need to get one won't I!

12. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

&lt;i&gt;You just buy anything you fancy that you can afford&lt;/i&gt;
    in my case that would be a lens cap! &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif"&gt;

click,whirr,i got a free roll of HP5 and im not afraid to use it &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;
    Larry FRIPN

13. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Im still trying to put that £45 rolleicord out of my mind!

click,whirr,i got a free roll of HP5 and im not afraid to use it &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;
    Larry FRIPN

14. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Damn you all!! But especially you,Ron!!!
    When I first joined this forum I was quite content with my Dynax 5 and a couple of cheap lenses.
    Now I have a seven, four bloody expensive lenses, lightmeter, a host of bits and pieces, three camera bags and two tripods.
    and to top it all off I am now getting an XD-7 (and the inevitable selection of lenses to fit it will probably follow) to go everywhere with me.
    This is directly due to this thread, the one "do you always carry a camera" in the lounge, and the infectious entusiasm shown by the rest of the forum-ites.
    So cheers, Ron, you have dragged another budding cameraholic/Minoltaholic into the world, I hope you are satified with yourself! : )

jhill

Never turn your back on reality-reality has very sharp teeth.

15. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Well John,

As they say "If you can't beat them, join them" (So you snaffled that XD-7 from SRS?). To stop you going completely barmy (mind you, it might be too late) for the XD I would suggest you stick with a 'standard' 50mm, but go for the f/1.4 if you can get one.
    BTW let us know what you think of the XD-7? I'm still hunting for a SR-T 303 &#43 50mm f/1.4

16. BigWill

That fiend Ron, he's been responsible for more "minoltaholics" than you would care to mention! Still reckon he'd be better off going for an X700 mind. Oh heck, now he's got me at it! I'm outta here before I start craving for a Rokkor!

BigWill

17. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

And this now makes the Minolta forum the 4th most posted to camera forum (thats what hapens when you design and sell 'good photography' gear not like that P****x mob!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh my guess who's stirred it up now!

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>Ron (It was Will that made me say it Guv!) M FRIPN

18. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Aw go on Will. You <font color=red>KNOW<font color=black> you need one! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff

19. BigWill

What we really need are a few Contax owners. (do such people really exist?) That particular forum is more barren than the surface of the moon!

Big(Don't look Ethel, BigWill's just mooned!)Will

20. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I went to get the XD7 and they had sold the bugger :(
    So I got a X700 and 50mm F1.7 for £100 instead : )
    I got out bid on the srt. Found out it had a knob or two missing so I didn't push it.

jhill

Never turn your back on reality-reality has very sharp teeth.