1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual Focus Lenses on the Mirrorless Sonys

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Wheelu, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

It being awful out, I've just written a screed on the use of manual focus lenses on mirrorless Sony cameras. Based upon my experience with the NEX 6 it should be directly applicable to the a6000, maybe less so to the new FF models.

2. Hendo

Hendo Well-Known Member

Nice post, I enjoy using old Minolta MD Rokkors on my Nex 6, in fact, I picked up a 200mm F4 prime the other day for £20. I do agree that it does take a bit of practice to get consistent results, I just wish we could use the old fashioned fresnel focusing screen :cool:

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Buoyed by the number of positive reviews I bought an adaptor to use my old MD lenses on a Fuji CSC and the success rate is very low, better with a 135 than the 200 but I have no idea why it is so difficult to get consistent results.

4. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Probably telling gran how to suck eggs, but you are dealing with the equivalent of a 300mm plus lens here, not something that I would normally be tempted to handhold, while focusing a gyrating image is a tad tricky. Have you tried it on a tripod?

5. PeteRob

I am used to hand-holding a non-stabilised 400 mm on my big camera (effective focal length 520 mm) but it might be that the light weight of the fuji just isn't heavy enough to sit as stably and needs more care. At first I thought I was messing up with the manual focus, having been spoiled by autofocus, but that isn't the whole story as I was taking pictures of my grandaughter in a play area and the small print on the manufacturer's labels on the equipment is clear at 1:1 which rules out that poor focus and camera shake are always a problem. I'll have another go. It was curiosity mainly as I have had these MD primes sitting in a drawer for the last 10 years and am not so interested to buy a telephoto for the Fuji.

6. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Nice article Wheelu, I suggest you try a lens turbo/speed booster. It's totally transformed my lens collection!

It reduces the focal length back to it's original one (or pretty close) the positives are:

More light, up to 2/3rds of a stop
    Sharper center

Negatives are:

Shallower dof
    poorer corners on wider lenses.

7. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Interesting but expensive!

I do have a stupid desire to fit my wonderfully sharp Canon 24-105 L to the NEX, but this would be both costly and very bulky. It defeats the object of having a small mirror-less camera.

I would prefer Sony to get their act together with Zeiss and produce a better version of the 16-70 f4 zoom. I would have bought that lens had it not been for some pretty poor reviews.

8. PeteRob

I did try the MD 200 again on my Fuji E2 and the problem is indeed mostly shake. The combination just isn't heavy enough to hold still.

9. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

My Zhongyi lens Turbo II cost only £89 I bought an eos to E mount version not because I have any Eos lenses but because I can buy lots of other very small eos to m42 eos to C/Y eos to om, md etc etc. Interestingly it's smaller than the other adapters due to the optical element meaning a smaller set up than your conventional "dumb" adapters

I agree on the zeiss lens the reviews are poor, it baffles me why there's no f2.8 version

10. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

I already have a collection of EOS adapters so that might be worth considering. I never really got into manual focus with Canon though, focusing very difficult compared to NEX, while you can't use Pentax on FF Canon.

I think that an f2.8 16-70 would be too large, heavy, and expensive. Very happy with f4 but it needs to be sharp from edge to edge. ( I had a Canon 24-70 f2.8 but much prefer the versatility of the 24-105 f4, my copy of that is also more consistent across the frame that my 24-70 ever was).