1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manfrotto 055CL Tripod

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Mark Goldstein, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Mark Goldstein

Mark Goldstein Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a new tripod and tripod head - upgrading from a cheap and nasty Velbon which doesn't keep the camera still. I think I've narrowed it down to the Manfrotto 055CL. CameraWorld in London are currently selling the black version of this tripod with the 141RC head for £120.

Q1 - is this a good deal? It is compared to Jessop's prices, but then so are most things!

Q2 - there's also the Manfrotto 055PRO model, which according to the SpeedGraphic catalogue has "All the features of the 055CL but with a terrific extra feature of a centre colum which can be placed horizontally as well as vertically, which is great for copying or tricky ground level photography."
    Is this such a great feature to have, over and above what the 055CL offers? I can't remember doing much "ground level photography" before :)

BTW, at the moment this is for use with a 35mm SLR - biggest lens is 70-300mm zoom.

Thanks,
    Mark Goldstein
    PhotographyBLOG

2. mikk

mikk Well-Known Member

Hello Mark,

I use this tripod and can confirm it is an excellent choice. Build quality is first class, it is lightweight yet sturdy, and quick and easy to set up and adjust. Consider also buying a bag to keep it in top condition.

In answer to your questions;

1. looks like a good deal to me.

2. this basically means you can mount the camera stuck out at the side of the tripod. If you don't need this feature (I certainly don't) then don't worry about it. The O55CL allows you to attach the camera at the bottom of the centre column to achieve 'ground level' photography, albeit with the camera upside down! However, it's possible to get down pretty low without such manouvering.

I've used this tripod with medium format equipment, and this tripod will easily accommodate 35mm kit. By the way, the Black finish looks great and is well worth the extra couple of quid in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Mikk /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

3. Mark Goldstein

Mark Goldstein Well-Known Member

Thanks Mikk.

I may well go for the 055CL, as the Pro version is about the same price as the 055CL and head that CameraWorld are doing a deal on.

Which head are you using on your tripod?

Thanks,
    Mark

4. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

I use the 222 Joystick which I find is the best and quickest option. One touch instant lock and sturdy.

Johnmac

5. mikk

mikk Well-Known Member

Mark,

I use the 460MG, which is very compact and lightweight, and I like it a lot. However I have found it can be a little fiddly in use and can take a bit of time to get the set up just right.

I have seen, and tried, the 222 Joystick (mentioned by John in this discussion) and it is an excellent head. It is very quick and easy to use, although it's nearly twice the weight of the 460, and more expensive. You takes yer choice. If pushed I may well suggest the 222 to be the most attractive option.

I would suggest trying to get a look at a few different heads 'hands on' and make up your own mind based on your own needs and budget.

Best of Luck.

Mikk /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use the 222 for most cameras with my 190 tripod, great head, but the 3D Junior head with Rolleifix for my Rolleis (because the head doesn't have a quick release plate, and so allows me to use the Rolleifix, the best thing since sliced bread for a 'Flex on a 'pod).

Nick BSRIPN