1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manfrotto 055 vs. 190 help please

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by sandra2, Apr 5, 2006.

1. sandra2

sandra2 Active Member

Hello,
    the newbie is stuck, just trying to make a decision. I cannot decide, which Tripod to buy. The 055 or the 190. I am an outdoor person, means the tripod gets dragged around the welsh rugged mountains and rough sea. I like nature and landscape photography and I am having an old Canon 1000FN with the Sigma 70-300 my biggest lens. The head should be a ball one, but I don't know, if the 486 RC2 is a good choice. Would like quick release though. Any suggestions?
    Thank you very much

2. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I use the 055pro with 322rc2 and that works a treat outdoors! The 055 is really nice and easy to setup, it can also be used well with the 222 head, which I've tried and liked. Both heads I've mentioned come with quick release - very handy if you need to set up in a hurry, or you have more than one camera.

One word of caution is that with all tripods you will find it much easier if you have a lens mount for your long zoom lens, rather than having the camera mounted, this means that you get better support with a "portrait" orientation shot. Otherwise you tend to have a lot of weight hanging off the tripod screw ;)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 190 should be tough enough for your requirements, and is a fair bit lighter.

4. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

The 055 (various generations and models) has been around for decades, and is almost standard kit for the sort of use you describe. I'm not sure they still make the 190, but as I recall it was a simpler, smaller, lighter pod. If the weight and bulk of the 055 bothers you then by all means get a 190, but the 055 is certainly more versatile, more substantial, and probably more rugged. I'm not so familiar with Manfrotto ball heads, so I won't comment on that.

5. DavidWeller

DavidWeller Well-Known Member

I can heartily recomend the 055MF4

Tripod here

I use this with the 322RC2 Ball grip head

I also use the 486RC2 ball head on my monopod and a small tripod that I use if I need to drag a tripod round a city.

They all come with at least one quick release plate.

So I have one permanantly fitted to camera, and one on my 300mm lens.

For me the 322RC2 was a revelation over a traditional ball head.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, well the CF-derived versions are certainly better, but a fair bit dearer!

7. DavidWeller

I managed to pick one of mine up with the grip at the end of the Focus show.

Ok it didn't have a box but at nearly 40% off I was well pleased.

8. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

Ahhh a fellow Southampton'r!! :D And with an 055 and 322rc2 t'boot. You've got good taste, David - thats all I'll say :rolleyes:

9. DavidWeller

Thank's Dan

Not a true Southampton'r only been here 15 years. :)

10. Les_McLean

Les_McLean Well-Known Member

486 RC2 is a good choice. Would like quick release though.
    Yes, it is a good choice of head, although for the longer lenses, I would use a tripod collar (if it has one).
    I use this head (IDS MKII) and except for my longer lenses (100-400 F4.5L) it holds things very well.

And yes, geet a quick release plate

Cheers

Les

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/

11. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

All I can add is that I'm very pleased with my tripod - a 190 pro with a 322 head. Not the lightest tripe on the market but good and stable. As for the head, so quick and easy to use - I wouldn't go back to a traditional head now.

12. Stuart93

Stuart93 New Member

Hi there,
    I've used a 055 with a 222 head for the last 5 years for both outdoor & studio with both 35mm & Medium Format without any problems. The outdoor stuff has involved some serious mountain treking in Europe & UK and I do agree with one of the posts that the 055 is on the heavier side, but honestly, you do get used to it and say in very strong winds the benefits to your photography are priceless. If the tripod is mounted very low in these conditions you'll have no probs.

13. Mugshot

Mugshot Well-Known Member

I've had a 055 for about fifteen years with the Super Junior head, and use it with both 35mm Canon and Mamiya M/F gear and am very happy with it, but if I I was buying now I would go for the Carbon Fibre version although it's More costly, it's a very good investment in your photograpic pleasure that will last for many years.

14. rephoto

rephoto Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a lot in it. They are both pretty similar supports. What's good is you are looking at proper tripods raher than the usual nonsense that people stump up for in the belief they are saving money. I'd look through the auction sites for both and see if you can bag a bargain