1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

"Mancave"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigWill, Mar 21, 2018.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

cameras_web.jpg A fairly modern expression I suspect but I'm sure the "mancave" has existed in many other guises for centuries. I'd be interested to know how many of my fellow forum members possess such a "retreat"? I have recently re-acquired mine after my youngest daughter vacated what was formerly her room to live permanently in Edinburgh. I must say, much as I miss my wonderful youngest offspring, I'm delighted to have my "mancave" back once again where I can stack my cameras on the shelves, spread my computer equipment all over the place and generally fill it with the "boys toys" so typical of the average "mancave. And just out of intrest, do "ladycaves" actually exist or is this purely a male of the species fixation?

BigCaveman

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    daft_biker likes this.
  2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

ahhh.... but are you allowed to eat a sandwich without using a plate....??

I have a 'man-cave' but my permissions don't stretch that far......

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Heck yes........even drink my beer out of the tin without pouring it into a glass first........philistine that I am! ;)

BigWill

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We have matching (wo)man caves up the garden. Hers is smart and neat while mine looks like one of those old surplus shops where the spiders have squatter's rights. ;)

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I have two! One with all my amateur radio stuff and computers. The other is a workshop full of sharp, whizzy, dangerous machinery. ;)

PeatSmoke and daft_biker like this.
  6. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Does my darkroom qualify as a mancave? It's dark, crammed full of esoterica and is of no interest to anyone but me.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes I have one, but about half the size of hers, which is a consulting room. I cram all my books and photo stuff in there. Must have a man cave.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I think it used to be called 'the shed'.

And I think 'ladycave' refers to something totally different... :eek:

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

My flat comprises 3 mancaves, scattered with computers, cameras, audio stuff and model railway bits & pieces plus associated paraphernalia like tools, battery chargers, printer, scanner, plotter cutter and many books associated with the various interests, part of the largest cave also has various appliances necesssary for storing, preparing and consuming necessary sustenance and others for maintaining the local environment in acceptable conditions

NB tidy is not considered essential for the environmental conditions

10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I currently have a most desirable man-cave. Built from the old stables about ten metres from the house, it has its own loo/shower room and kitchenette, and a fairly spacious main room. Originally it was known as 'the grannie flat', but following the demise of the majority of the grannies, it became my office (which, for legal reasons, required a separate entrance) and quickly became a delightfully messy man-cave.

Alas - no more! The decision has been made to reinstate its grannie-flatness, ostensible so we can accommodate a Philippina in our dotage to take care of us. In the meantime, apparently, it will be used as a haven for air-b-n-bers thereby generating revenue from an unused asset. Personally, I think 'er indoors is just on a house improvement crusade - last year the bathroom was rebuilt, and then the original rather steep staircase to upstairs was torn down and replaced with a more user-friendly structure - so I can get to my new man-cave in the spare bedroom, thereby suffering considerable territorial loss.

Further to rub salt into the would, I am told that this enterprise is going to cost me €10-12K on refurbishment (read €15K). Still, not too upset about that as a single week of air-b-n-b will be more profitable than the current interest rate I am getting.

<DeepSigh> DEEP SIGH </DeepSigh>

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Women also have caves, although my children used to refer to mine as my 'batcave' when I had one. Whoever designed our old house seemed to have a penchant for big rooms that tailed off at one end - the kitchen and the living room both had these odd bits that were about half the width of the rest of the room at the back of the house. We opened up the kitchen by knocking into the dining room to make a large open plan space, but added doors to make the funny bit at one end of the living room into my batcave. I miss it. I had bookshelves aplenty, and storage for camera stuff, desk, computer, small stash of emergency gin. This whole flat is only about the size of a batcave really and there's nowhere to go to escape anyone ever. *Sigh* and *one day*

Catriona likes this.
  12. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I have a study room, it’s a room in our house that can be a bit ‘out there’ with no rules on how it is decorated.

13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Funny I got precisely the opposite advice from my accountant when we built an office extension. He said that we should not separate the two functions and be prepared to prove I worked everywhere (sitting by fire with computer on knee for example )as well as holding family parties in the not quite an office. This was mainly for capital gain tax reasons and he then allows us a (tax free) use of house as office allowance.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Here in Cyprus, the law is most specific about not being able to claim house costs as a business expense. By doing it the way I did, I had two bites of the cherry - firstly costs could be offset against business taxes, and, as the building is over a hundred years old in a 'preserved' village, the rent I charged for the use of the office by the business was considered tax free so money would be available for maintenance. Result!

RogerMac likes this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Just think how many accountants would be thrown on the streets if countries simplified their tax systems. My goodness - they might turn to piracy!

16. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I have had a few man caves over the years. Here are some pictures of my present man cave. Its a bit cluttered but I know where everything is.
    Bipolar

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

OMG! A place stacked out with tools like this is my idea of paradise! Sadly my dodgy legs and the associated H&S issues of a place like this mean that most of this equipment is now off-limits. (Used to be a skilled machinist.)

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Show off!!:D

My man cave is huge - really big with lots and lots of stuff in it - of course it is in my imagination. Bipolar's mancave is bigger than my living room:eek:

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Bit of a conversation stopper. Who can match a man cave like that?

20. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Beats my shelf, desk and 1 square foot of table space in the lounge, that's for certain.

peterba and Geren like this.