1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Man on train

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by KeithLeslie, Sep 22, 2014.

1. KeithLeslie

KeithLeslie Well-Known Member

Grabbed this shot of a man nodding off on a heritage train.
    [​IMG]

Comment gratefully received folks.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Could do with a slight rotation to straighten up the verticals. Feel it might also do better as a monochrome (it nearly is anyway) and given a contrast boost to put in a little more bite.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

4. KeithLeslie

Yes, he looks thoughtful, doesn't he? I wonder what it would look like with similar treatment to mine (i.e. keep the face saturated, and de-saturate the surroundings)?

5. KeithLeslie

They weren't verticals, Sid; the sides of the carriage are slightly curved.

6. KeithLeslie

Like this, you mean:
    [​IMG]

I don't think it works as well.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Now as someone who has on a number of occasions commented adversely on mono conversions, I prefer this as a black and white, it suits the rather period nature of the shot rather well, also the colours were rather muted to start with.

8. RovingMike

Nice idea. In fact I did substantially take down the yellow stripe, but left it at that.

9. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

love it and the colour one works far better - did you tweak the colour round his face? as that does seem stronger

10. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Nice shot.

11. RovingMike

No, he said he tweaked everything else.

12. KeithLeslie

That's right, Mike, I used a layer mask to keep the face as shot, and desaturated the surroundings, partly because I felt that they detracted form the emphasis on the man, and second because I wanted a bit of a 'retro' look to it.

I seem to have hit the bell with this one! [​IMG] Thanks for comments guys.

13. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

Cheers Keith - and I agree right on the money with this photo

14. KeithLeslie

And, guys, guess what? This was one that a judge praised then marked down.

15. RovingMike

Hmm, I like the framing as it is, but I wonder how it might have fared like this and from a half pace to the right, so the guy sat fully in the frame? Part of getting a high mark is to remove everything a judge can take pot shots at.

But some do praise everything to the heights and then reveal their real thoughts with the scores. This is high on seeing eye, but to a purist, his position in the frame lacks attention to detail. But that would be real top end Class 1 judging.

[​IMG]

16. KeithLeslie

On the first point, Mike, I deliberately left the lower bit of door in to show that it was an old railway carriage; I did muse about it, but thought, if we had a certain judge of my erstwhile less than happy acquaintance, he'd think it was something quite different and use that as an excuse....

On the second, unfortunately, I couldn't - there was a jutting out piece of station wall in the way! I tried again as the train started off. And then someone walked across in front before I could try just as the train moved. As they do! I liked it as it was, though my preference would be not to have cut off the front of his trilby, but, again, the wall beat me, and I didn't want to try too hard, because I didn't want him to notice me. It would actually have been possible with the M5, due to the hinged rear display, ironically.

That judge gave full marks to a shot of a bird on a feeder that, honestly, was out of focus and poorly exposed. And composition? What's that? You couldn't make it up!

17. RovingMike

A bird on a feeder? You're kidding. That's entry level stuff.

18. KeithLeslie

I kid you not. Well, not so bad if it was well-exposed sharp, and maybe coming in to land. But it was static, a greenfinch, as I remember. I reckon that 3 years in a club has damaged my photographic ability, if nothing else, through feeling both demoralised and bemused.

19. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

The original post; exactly as is for me, reminds me of the hand coloured prints of yore, and if you meant that, bravo, it works fine for me.

The clubs; I read about (and also attend one when I can) that they vary a lot. If a club was anything but a gentle collection of experts thru' to ardent but humorous amateurs who could chat helpfully, I would not go again. This hobby is exactly that, an enjoyable diversion to express what little art one has and to be sociable and encouraging about others doing the same, combined with really useful and inspiring insights from ex-pros and experts who can help.

If I was a professional driven to earn maximum bucks & kudos, then I wouldn't be wasting a few musing moments on this site admiring some of the contributors' and offering my stumbling assessments, mostly written for my own learning as well as theirs.

Gule, gule, [Go cheerfully, as the Turks used to say]

20. KeithLeslie

Merhaba, dachs.

Quite, although my club has a couple of semi-pros.

I did intend the original to look something like that; "retro". Just felt it suited the subject.