1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Making a comeback

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by RovingMike, Oct 17, 2018.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Someone asked me to post some of mine up. Well, after 12 years out of the photo club world and after all the things I've said about club judges, I decided to have a dabble again. So first open PDI and Print comps of the season I decided to play it safe with travel stuff (my old home ground).

The Indian Bride got 9.5 as a projected image, but no idea where the 0.5 went after the judge said he had no comment to make on it. Feel free to suggest.

[​IMG]Indian Bride by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Different judge and the Young Jain Monk brought home the bacon with 10 as a print.

[​IMG]Young Jain Monk by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know how this judging works. Is it 9.5/10 on a standalone basis or 9.5/10 on a comparative basis, i.e against others on the day? Looks perfect both technically and aesthetically to me.

I'd put my back out if I tried to sit like that monk! He makes it look easy.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You've only gone and posted them in Exhibitions ;)

First one (since you asked), if I was being really, really picky, I find the left side a little tight, not quite cutting the hand off, but not quite giving it any breathing room, also the different coloured brick behind her head makes a kind of an odd frame in a frame which is distracting, but super picky.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What bothers me is her left eye - right in image. I guess it's a highlight but comes across as selective brightening.

Agree with Tony re the brick, but for me it's as if she has that line break on top of her head.

5. RovingMike

Neither do any of us. But they are supposed to be stand alone. But when too many are held back, I think they penalise a few on a comparative basis. But that's when it usually goes off the rails.

6. RovingMike

Yes it is very tight because I cropped her hubby off and it puts her eyes just too far left for comfort. But he didn't pick up on that.

7. RovingMike

Nothing selective done, but you do have to brighten them a bit for judges.

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Easy Peasy.

You just need to have a malrotated femur. That position requires an externally rotated hip (so the lower femur is internally rotated) - 70 degrees should do it. Well that's how I do it. You should have seen it before I had it derotated from 145 degrees:eek:

Good pics. 9.5/10 because it was err...daylight? Tuesday? some other half-arsed reason not to hand out a half mark because the judge didn't want to make you look too good?:p

9. RovingMike

Well It was a Monday night and he had held back far too many. He admitted he was totally stumped and looked pleadingly towards the PDI Secretary, but got no sympathy, so he went through arbitrarily downgrading to 9, 9.5 and left a couple of 10s that I would never have held back at all.

FYI this is what it was cropped from, so you can see it is well under half the frame. That's why I downgraded it to a PDI and didn't print it.

[​IMG]P2200922 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

10. PeteRob

Can you exlain what was going on? Hold back? PDI Secretary?

11. RovingMike

Certainly. When judges go through the entries first time, they hold some back for marking later. Can be either they are not sure, or they want to sort out the 9s and 10s (or 19s/20s) at the end. When they hold too many back they can be in a mess and under time pressure (as most are at the very end with the Advanced section, because they have spent too long lecturing the other sections on the merits of things being in focus and other elementary things) they get very arbitrary.

Clubs have lots of different secretaries for different jobs. So a Projected Digital Image Secretary (used to be Slides) books the judges for those comps, records the scores over the season etc. Some clubs insist on no more than say 2 or 3 10s (5 or 6 10s is usually totally unrealistic and evidence of the judge's limitations) and some insist on the judges naming a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and Highly Commendeds. So they will look to the secretary for guidance.

12. PeteRob

Thanks for that Mike. I had no idea it got that complicated or was an exercise of such scale or that the points were something to be accrued.

13. RovingMike

Well not complicated really. There are leagues for prints and PDIs over usually 5 monthly competitions and lots of other individual championships too, like mono print of the year, colour POY etc. Successful pics (or unsuccessful where the selection committee thinks the judge was a jerk), go into inter-club, regional and national competitions.
    Big one coming up is the PAGB Inter Club Print Champs: http://www.thepagb.org.uk/competitions/inter-club-print/
    My club is one of the two from the federation nominated and I have a couple in there, so see how they run.
    People here complain about judges and tend to vastly over-state the inhibiting effect they might have on creativity, but everyone sees those issues and it is really no more than accepting that football referees are not all the same.

14. PeteRob

Wow. Not being part of the activity I assumed it was a local, live version of the appraisal forum where someone (a judge) gave feedback and points, that ending the evening! I looked up PAGB then the federations then the clubs in our federation (lancashire and chester). I'm just staggered at the level of activity.

15. RovingMike

So get in there. Ignore the naysayers in this column, there are only a few and this is tiny as fora go. There is nothing really comparable online to the club world. You don't have to do conformist or stereotypical stuff, just don't put any really edgy stuff in front of some of the judges. Or do, if you want to be able to smile knowingly and mutter to others around you that he is showing his (or her) limitations ;)

16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn't like the cloning around her right hand.

MickLL

17. RovingMike

That you didn't notice until I showed the original? :)
    No he never saw it.
    Anyway it will go into the inter-club pool, so I hope the next judge doesn't follow this column.

dream_police likes this.
  18. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

You've got me sussed!!!!

A serious question now and it's one that says more about me than about you. I'm NOT having any sort of go.

Please would you explain what it is that got it 9.5. As you might guess from the question I'm not into this sort of photography and struggle to see what lifts this to the top of the tree. I repeat that I KNOW that it's my problem and not yours, The other one OTOH I do get. I see that you have been selective in the composition and used the b/g sympathetically etc etc. I don't see the same 'Mike Stamp' with the bride.

MickLL

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Doubt it was because it is an Indian bride smiling because I think that should be worth more off!;)

One view is that they do not have a lot to be smiling about but my little sister tells me it is how they show respect to the family home they are leaving behind as on her wedding day she did happy poses for one side of the family and sad poses for the other.

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Or maybe she's just a normal human being who's not living up to any weird second-hand cultural/racist generalizations passed on by a friend-of-a-friend or a little sister.

Cheers,

R.