1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major PC problem

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by swanseadave, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Dilinja

Dilinja Well-Known Member

How did you format the drive? Was it using the format function included in the setup procedure? (when you choose which partition you want to install XP to you can format before it copies the files)

And this was after a format? If AVG still found issues I would suggest the format was a quick format or something has gone strangely wrong. Given that AVG still found issues I can only suggest reinstalling XP again but making sure the drive is utterly wiped before proceeding. Do you have a floppy drive? If so I would use a boot disk to get into DOS and then use a program such as WipeDisk to completely eradicate all data from the disk. Then go ahead with the clean install again.

2. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

Simon, do I understand that up to the point you updated some drivers, the PC was functioning correctly? I note you used the drivers for the mobo that came on the CD. How about going online to get more uptodate ones from Gigabyte for a start? The CD ones are likely to be quite old and XP with SP3 etc may have issues there?

Try uninstalling the recent XP updates (in add/remove) and then adding them back one by one, testing the machine thoroughly after each one. This may pinpoint one that is causing issues. A pain I know.

Also, bear in mind a virus or malware needn't be on the C: drive. Do you have more partitions or a second drive?

And when you reinstall XP is it a full reinstall or one that doesn't reformat the drive? You need to format the drive to be sure it is clean.

3. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

ubuntu won't burn, the image file appears to be on the disk, i just don't know aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fedora says it's a link for intel, mine's amd

4. swanseadave

Thanks gents, not exactly functioning properly because of the virus, upto that absolutely fine. I have AVG running and Malware Bytes but it seemed to go a bit bonkers after an automatic update, which must be coincidental. I downloaded superantispyware too, within seconds the virus disabled that too. I identified the exe and used a kill programme, I forget the name and everything appeared normal again, I started to run malware bytes to get an update so that I could unhook the net and go from there. The screen changed and an ATI screen came up asking me to get a driver as it no longer existed, malware bytes froze and I was back to square one again. Panic! Unhook LAN power cable, restart, hit F8 for safe mode with networking, nothing doing, no programs start. no access to anything. restart in normal mode, rename malware bytes exe and all other components, update, run scan, apparently remove malware, same avg. No matter what I manage to do with malwarebytes and avg, things just don't work properly, I try to install and uninstall 11.2 driver from disk ATI and from filehippo, same with 11.9, I get messages saying the catalyst control centre cannot be activated and then messages saying pathways not found etc. Use recover console on xp disk bsod. safe mode bsod, bsod, bsod, nothing. Reformat the first time, I had issues with the drivers installing from disk - I re-reformatted and blanked the partition first. I got the network drivers from the mobo cd and seems to be working. I had to use system restore earlier after a hardware update from microsoft - so this does seem to be an issue, i'll install them one by one and see if that helps. no more partitions or drives. If all else fails we shall petiton the lord with prayer! Lol Nah, I'll follow the steps below and use wipedisk - can you use a cd for a bootdisk to get into DOS? If not I'll have to find the old floppy drive. Thanks once again. I think that ubuntu disk has copied - I don't know why infrarecorder told me otherwise? Silly! Why is it whenever you're having a PC nightmare things all over the place go wrong?! One question that has been bugging me - do you think this could be down to a faulty component? Perhaps a GPU or a card reader? I have a few things to be getting on with from here, ATI have replied with some possible fixes and checking out the gigabyte website is a grand idea. I've wanted a look at linux for some time. I have an IDE drive somewhere - I was thinking of installing and disabling to have a drive to work from should I ever have any future issues? Worthwhile? It runs XP, my Linux will be on the same disk, different partition so I should have all bases covered. I have never seen anything like this before - what a nightmare.

5. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

Dave

I know you've had many constructive replies., but I thought I'd relate a problem I had earlier this year. My desktop expired and decided to replace it. I bought a barebones bundle from a respectable retailer and built the new computer. All went well for a couple of months when it started to become unstable...sometimes it would boot up and act normally other times not, and froze at what seemed to be random moments. I tried virus scanning, rebuilding the disk etc etc all to no avail. Anyway, I hadn't done anything to cause this, so it went back under guarantee with the proviso if they felt it was due to my incompetence in building the complete computer I'd be liable for the labour costs.
    Anyway, I had the machine back a few days later, working perfectly and the cause was a faulty PSU. I suppose one of the voltages was collapsing or falling to a critical level. It might be worth a try if you have or can borrow a voltmeter.
    Just trying to help!

Tony

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

The best of luck! :)

7. swanseadave

Just for the record,posts 39,40,43&44 of this thread were written by Simon,not me.

As of now I can add nothing further.My daughter in law is herself unwell and confined to bed.I suspect no further progress will be made by Simon today.

thanks again to all concerned for their time and knowledge.

Dave.

8. swanseadave

Re: Major PC problem--UPDATE of sorts

Just for info for those who`s help in the matter was invaluable.

Though I know no details whatsoever,it would seem that my son`s PC is now working after following tips from folk here.

I also understand that the only remaining issue is one of software conflict.

Simon has said he`ll post here with more details;when I do not know.

Thank you one and all.

Dave.