1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major PC problem

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by swanseadave, Sep 30, 2011.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Alex,thanks it`s worth a shot.I`ll suggest it to Simon.Do you have a reliable download link please?

2. Dilinja

Dilinja Well-Known Member

For Linux?

Here you go:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

3. swanseadave

Thanks for that.Downloaded Linux to a flashdrive but @ 2Gb far too large for burning to CD(no DVD burner)

Simon just told me he`s reformatted(I know,last resort and all that)and now has very limited web access but downloading anything at all is impossible.Not one program or any software will run.program or software.PC freezes and responds to zilch.Major fear of hardware damage.
    He`s asked me to write this update of his situation in sheer desperation,believing the pc to be totally screwed.

I feel so powerless and feel his anguish.It really is soul destroying after spending £300-400 just months ago.:(

Very many thanks to all who`ve offered help.Dave.

4. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

Dave

I have a gismo that you plug in a sata drive (internal type) and you can then connect that drive via a usb cable. Technically it's an HDD Docking station. We must live pretty close to one another if you want to borrow it, you'd be welcome.
    Then you could connect the suspect drive to another computer and scan it for viruses or other malware.

Let me know if this would help you

rgds
    Tony

5. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

6. swanseadave

PM sent

7. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

Every home should have one.

8. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

I agree, it sounds like hardware.

Try removing everything unnecessary but obviously leave the graphics card and a hard drive.

See if windows behaves OK. If it does, then something you unplugged must be the culprit - a network card, internal modem, or whatever. Unless its the hard drive or GPU or mobo of course.

It would help to have his specs, the version of windows etc.

What does he mean 'limited' web access? How does he connect?

What actually happens when he runs a program? Does it start then hang? Crash? (if so what message?)

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Remove any excess hardware, boot into BIOS, make sure the date is correct and then load failsafe defaults.
    after that, try the linux on a usb stick if you have one.
    Self builds can be a problem as it's not always easy getting all hardware to play nicely with each other. I've nearly always self-built, and had similar problems myself.
    Try http://www.pcguide.com/vb/ which has always been an excellent source of information.
    I used to hang around there giving (and taking) tech advice, and it's not a snooty 'you should know this' type of site, and those involved are very helpful.

10. MarchHare

MarchHare Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you got a file of 2GB. Ubuntu has been kept down to below 700Mb purposely to be able to use it on a CD. On the other hand "Mint" goes to about 1.5GB and needs a DVD. But then it does include a lot of drivers and software.

11. swanseadave

Firstly many thanks to TonyKillay for his kind offer which I`ll take advantage of at the earliest opportunity.PM sent.

Alex,your fedora link doesn`t work properly I fear.

Brian,thanks but I know too little of the issue to provide more detail.

Andy,that`s a very useful link that`s bookmarked for future use,thank you.

MarchHare,I didn`t see the Ubuntu download so cannot comment.It was downloaded on my PC but to a flashdrive belonging to Simon.

It is indeed heartwarming how people on here have gone to great lengths to help.It`s very much appreciated.I hope that one way or another this will get sorted.

Dave.

12. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

You say he built the pc himself. Then why doesn't he do a re install and just start again. Yes I know it's a pain, if the problem is a virus. It may be the only solution as you can see from my own thread. I'm having problems as well.

I remember awhile back I got a nasty virus and that for me was resolved by a re install of windows. Code 28 seems to be my new problem.

I contacted Virgin my broadband supplier a techy did a few tests couldn't find a problem. He then put me on to another techy who's only solution was to tell me I must have a virus and she would remove any nasties for the princely sum of £ 60 but she would reduce that to £ 30.

I declined the offer and hung up. I have AVG on my pc which didn't find anything so it lead me to think. Would I have had to pay the £30 even if there was no virus.

Pcs are god's way ( I'm not a believer) of sending us to hell,and to be honest I think he does it just for the hell of it. Now if he could guarantee my pc would run problem free for a really long time. Forever would even for a god be too much. I might hit the pulpit from time to time.

13. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Sorry the link didn't work, I though I cut and paste it!
    It's actually http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
    although you probably won't need it now.

Good luck!

14. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

He did that already. It didn't help.

15. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

There's something very strange going on here! Unless your son comes on-line to tell us more, we aren't getting anywhere!

16. swanseadave

I agree Brian.I`ll suggest it to him when I see him later assuming he`s slept!!

Cheers

17. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

I'd try to run a memory test, using this http://www.memtest.org/, if this comes up clean, then I'd try taking out all but one stick of RAM (presuming there's multiple) and try to boot the machine again, see if anything runs.

If not, then swap the RAM and try again. also try different memory slots!

RAM can cause all sorts of issues! I had a PC that constantly crasshed, took out 2 sticks of RAM and was fine, move the RAM around and re-installed the stuff I took out, and not had an issue since!

also, try enabling the default "fail-safe" setting in the BIOS. There's normally an option to do this.

Is there any way to get into the Windows Explorer to set up a disk-check too, see if there's any issues on the Hard Drive? Once set should run on boot.

18. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I did try to read all the posts but I have to rush through everything before my own pc crashes. My problem is internet based and not having the drivers possibly.

Onwards and upwards or somewhere where we can find a person that can say. That's your problem mate and I can fix it. Tall order.

19. swanseadave

Hi thread! Lol Simon here, I know I am signed into my dad's account but here goes! My PC problem has been going on for about a week now and tbh I can't remember all the problems and/or messages that have come up. The first issue appeared to start when malware bytes wouldn't run - there was a virus that had pinched the exe. Once I had managed to remove the virus (or so I thought) I restarted the machine and the ATI drivers had gone AWOL. I tried, in vain, to reinstall the drivers to no avail. It would appear the whilst using the process kill program that some essential windows files had also gone for a burton. After trying to get XP updates to resolve the issues I tried to use the XP recovery from the disk - a la some tech forum or other (the history having been eradicated). Anyway, blue screen of death with some stop message. I lost the plot at this point and re-formatted the machine. After shouting at it and threatening violence (!) I inserted the Nvidia disk that came with the gigabyte motherboard. This installed the network card drivers and from there on in the net worked. According to an AVG scan there are still several issues with the C drive (perhaps I should have used a clean partition???) After a hundred or so updates, last night I installed the ATI drivers and some others from the windows xp update site. Suffice to say this messed things up again and I had to perform a system restore to enable the net to run again. Perhaps one of these updates conflicted with something?? It wasn't this much hassle to build the thing! It has been running error free and wonderfully for a year until this viral attack! One thing I forgot to mention is that one time I put in the Nvidiia/ATI disk (don't remember) the error message came up - can't find english language file on this disk! It's frying my brain and is getting pretty close to being binned . . .

Cheers,Simon,swanseadave`s son.

20. swanseadave

PS the ubuntu link was probably me just being a numptie! I'll burn it now :) Advice taken on board - I will go and have a look at what you guys have said and go from there :D