1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Order for Processing Delta 3200 ?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by buze, Nov 21, 2005.

1. buze

buze Well-Known Member

I took the plunge, I got some of that film to try out in the Bronica.
    Where is the best quality ratio mail order to get it processed ?

Will it scan reasonably well on my Epson 4990, or should I find some other way to get it scanned ?

2. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Try Peak Imaging, they do mine well.

David.

3. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Odd choice to start with!

4. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

What is: Peak Imaging or Delta 3200?

David.

5. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

There is nothing 'odd' about Delta 3200...especially when using a Bronica!

6. buze

buze Well-Known Member

Well, I decided if I was going to try out B&W I'd rather pick something extreme ! :D I'd use it for "moody" shoots anyway...

I also looked at home-developing the films.. I'll see that if I like the results.

7. buze

buze Well-Known Member

Anyone tried the "Ilford Premium Direct Mailer - B&W Process Paid Mailing Envelope - 39 Exposure":
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6073
    Thats cheap, but there are no details... "processing" could mean I can send off my unprocessed rolls and get back negatives and a set of print ?
    The thing is "39" is neither 36 nor 12, it's not really clear what you are suposed to send...

8. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Eh?? There's a whole paragraph of details there...including " Price is for up to 39 exposures, printed to 6x4 inches (Also available as a 27 exposure version for £7.29 - see our site) ". and " Optional upgrades to the service can include extra sets of prints or larger 5x7 size prints etc ."

Yous on the beer again ain't ya :D

9. buze

buze Well-Known Member

It doesn't tell me *anything* about what I want to know. Do I send unprocessed film ? if so what format, and WTF do I do "27 exposure" if I send a 120 film , or even 2, that's 12 or 24 photo.

They could have said "send your 35mm or 120 unprocessed film with instructions and get the processed film back with a set of WxH sized print". Now this would tell me something. "27 exposure" WTF is that ?

Apparently you are on the same drugs as them ! These chemicals seems to work in repeatable ways :D

10. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Well I think it's quite clear it is for 'unprocessed' film to be developed and printed. It says "Product Group FILM ~ PROCESSING", "get your black and white films processed", the packet says "Process and Prints" and it's a "B&W Process Paid Mailing Envelope " so I guess you send your film and get it processed! :D see you are definitely on the beer! :D (can I have some? ;) :eek:

It's also clearly intended for standard 35mm processing if they say 39 or 27 - any good 35mm film allows for slightly more than 36 or 24 shots on the length of the film, to allow for losses on loading etc, and as customers tend to complain if you didnt print shot number 37 of Auntie Mildred it is pretty standard practise to offer a deal for 27 or 39 shots on a roll.

Some labs will charge extra for these, or limit themselves to a 24/36 'guarantee', just in case they do chop Mildred in half, but any good lab will print the lot and it is quite common to see a 39/27 offer.

If you're wanting MF or anything else non-standard it will say it in the description, and it is usual to specify that in your search or simply call for details.

It is obviously a standard 35mm d&p service. :D But we'll let you off if you get the next round in :D /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. snapperlondon

Just looked at the link and it seems pretty clear to me! They process and print your 35mm B&W film! :D

Quite a good price too, in the past I've always been happy with Ilford processing...and it comes back in a proper box too! :D

12. buze

buze Well-Known Member

Seems pretty clear if you have years of experience in B&W film lingua surely, in your native tongue.
    I'm sure I could bury you thee same in technical computer documentation that is "clear" to me.

Anyway, problem is not solved. The more I dig, the more I discover just sending your film to be "processed" in not like E6 where there is only one solution...(sic)
    Here I look at the film "documentation" and it confirm there are about two dozen way of processing it, all generating a different result of course...

So now I'm looking into buying a tank and finding a run-of-the-mill chemical developer,buy some stop&fix to do it all myself. Doesn't look like rocket science !

And at that point I will have jumped back 60 years in the past in the space of about 2 month, where I first decided shooting MF seemed like a great idea :D :D

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Er, do you mean paperwork that came with the film you want to process, or do you mean with the Ilford mail order processing envelope??

If you mean the former, there will be, depending on how you want the film to come out! Here comes more fun! :D :D

14. buze

buze Well-Known Member

Just the suggestions inside the box of the ilford film!
    Because there are tables of developers vs temperature vs time, and then there are plenty of people using other dilution/time to get other results.
    I don't even plan to print-from-film, I'll scan the one I like :D I can't use the ilford processing envelopes, I plan on doing only 120s

Anyway, I got a Paterson tank for £5 on eBay, and I'm trying to match hundreds of "helpful" articles about the subjet to the product listings at http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ to pick chemicals.
    Seems I can get a full "lab" for the price of 3 films development. My local shop quoted me £7 just for processing ONE b&w roll (and one week too)

Fun! :D

15. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

You can send 120 to be processed mail order.
    Its generally more expensive than 35mm though.

I think you're perhaps best just trying a variety of different developers and films and seeing which combinations give you the results you like best, good fun and cheaper! Plus gives you a lot of practise!

16. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Ilford do great D&P Especially when you get the mailer for £4 at jessops, it worth paying the extra for 7x5"s though.

17. snapperlondon

It still seems pretty clear to me, it's just that it isn't the product you required! Looking at a '35mm process and print' package and then complaining that it doesn't cover '120 process only' is a bit unfair! Why not try Peak Imaging or similar as suggested? :D

18. buze

buze Well-Known Member

You haven't checked the link have you ? You decide to chip in without reading it, and consider that even without having read the original link, you still can pass me for an idiot gratuitously ? And you call me "unfair" ?

Do read the link :
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=6073

There is zero reference to "35mm", or film format. If you don't know that you can put 39 exposure on a 36 exposure film, there is no way of knowing what it's for.

19. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I think there are endless things on there that give it away. How about 'printed to 6x4 inches'. You wouldnt put a 120 on that.

Apart from anything else, you should always assume something is 'standard' unless it says otherwise. If you wanted to search for 120 processing and printing you'd type in '120'...

20. buze

buze Well-Known Member

No I assumed that maybe they were potentialy handling *any* film format somehow, thus my original question... As for the print format, they could always "crop" to the nearest fitting ratio...

Anyway thats irrelevant since I'm going to do it myself. Where do you guys buy your chemicals ? I found http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ thay have what seems to be low prices, good range but I don't know what to compare it to :D