1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macro lenses on Ebay

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Skyclimber, May 8, 2007.

1. Skyclimber

Skyclimber Active Member

Hi everyone,

I've just recently bought an alpha 100 and this is my first time using an SLR camera.

I have the kit lens that came with it but would like to have a try at Macro photography of flowers etc in the garden.

I see on Ebay there are quite a few macro lenses available - some are kits of 4 lenses that mount on the kit lens I have. They cost roughly £12.

Has anyone any experience of using them and are they any good? To be honest, at that price I'm tempted to give them a go!

2. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Are you on about Extension Tubes, not Macro lenses.

3. Skyclimber

Skyclimber Active Member

Not sure to be honest, but here's the link to it on ebay

4. Skyclimber

Skyclimber Active Member

Might help if I pasted the link properly!

Here it is again

5. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Right, they're Close-Up Lenses

All they do is cut down the focal length of the lens you attach them to.

Personally I would recommend a proper Macro lens. Minolta used to make several good ones.

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

These are very cheap dioptre lenses in a filter mount to attach to the front of a lens. Don't bother they will not be satisfactory. Save your money towards a proper macro lens. The cheap Cosina 100mm Macro has had very good reviews despite it plastic construction. They appear on eBay from time to time.

7. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I also own an Alpha A100.
    Both my Sigma zoom lens are macros, 28 - 80mm 1.35-5.6 and 170-300mm 1.4-5.6.
    The 170-300 cost about £150, though if you Google search, you may get it cheaper elsewhere or on e-bay.

Steve
    :)

8. Roger_Provins

These, whilst nice lenses with close focussing, are not macro lenses. Macro starts at 1/1 ratio (the same size of subject to size on film or sensor - life size).

9. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

You can get reasonable results with good-quality close-up lenses (I had excellent results with Hoya close-up lenses on Nikon lenses some years ago).

Not sure how good those ones on eBay are, but for a new SLR user I would suggest they are well worth a try for the price, rather than paying a lot more for a proper macro lens until you know if you actually want to take a lot of macro shots! ;)

10. Roger_Provins

I agree really good quality supplementary close-up lenses can give excellent results. But these on eBay are not of that quality - in fact they're pretty dire - I was once given some to try .... exhibited every fault known in optics!

11. Alex1994

I did think £12 was a bit cheap!!!

12. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

So why have Sigma called them 'MACRO' then? There is a 'MACRO' setting on both lens at 80mm & 300mm respectively.
    :D

13. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

It's advertising blurb. What they mean is that they will focus a bit closer than normal. Whether that's OK for what you want can only be down to you. Rogprov is right true macro begins at 1:1 ratio. A true macro lens gives 1:1 ratio without close up lenses, tubes, bellows etc.

Maybe you don't need 1:1 and so the money might be wasted.

MickLL

14. Skyclimber

Skyclimber Active Member

Many thanks for all you responses - I suppose the reason I asked the question in the first place was because I thought at that price, I couldn't expect fanatastic results.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of using these lenses though.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out on ebay for a Cosina lens - thanks for that, rogprov!

15. Alex1994

I seem to recall that Vivatar, about 25 years ago, tried to get lens makers to agree on the definition of 'macro', and not to use it on lenses that were simply close-focus. Nothing came of it ...

16. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I've got a Sigma 28-80 "macro", it has a switch which you operate at the 80mm setting which allows closer focusing and gives a 1:2 image results are quite reasonable.
    Cheers MIKE