1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Ratcatcherpix, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Ratcatcherpix

Ratcatcherpix Well-Known Member

Hi All

Can anyone please recommend a good macro lens for my K10D.
    I've just seen a Tamron SP90 f2.5 with a 1:1 extender and a Pentax mount adapter. Also a Pentax A 50mm f2.8.
    Any good ?.

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro which gives 1:1 macro and I cant fault it.

3. CertedFriday

CertedFriday Active Member

The Pentax FA 100/2.8 Macro is a brilliant lens. Excellent build quality and great optics. Can be found on ebay quite often. Weighs in at 600g - see Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page for full details

Cheers

David

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

The later Pentax lens is the SMC Pentax DFA 100 f2.8 and this has improved optics and, of course, the Pentax Super Multi Coated lenses. It is also ok for both 35mm film and Digital bodies. Retails for about £399.00 from Warehouse express.

5. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The new pentax 100mm Macro certaiinly is more compact but I would dispute the "improved optics". All the Pentax Macro lenses are good for film or digital and the FA 100mm is highly regarded as one of the very best.

Unless you have a particular reason for AF then the MF macros will serve very well. Much macro work is better done with manual focus. The A series 50mm and 100mm lenses would be good choices and I would expect them all to out-perform the Tamron, good though it undenably is.

Frankly, I have never come across a poor genuine macro lens. The Vivitar 50mm f2.8 is also a good one by the way, if you ever come across one.

6. Monobod

I was refering to improved performance with digital cameras, a quote from the Photozone review:

'Compared to its predecessors the new lens features an "optimized lens coating and positioning of optical elements" for the special characteristic of today's image sensors.'

Sorry if I did not make that clear.

7. johnriley1uk

Sounds like advertising-talk to me! They pro=bably mean a more telecentric design, but in practice all the macros are great.

8. Monobod

I'm sure they are, do you know if the back lens is coated on the other lens to reduce reflections? :D

9. johnriley1uk

That is a fair point. The macros from Pentax are SMC coated, but do not have any extra coatings that may be applied to the rear element of the new Pentax macro lenses. In practical terms, though, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I actually use the SMC Pentax-FA 100mm f2.8 and it is absolutely stunning. The newer DA lens would be much more compact, but from what I have seen it does not produce noticeably different results. I would change to it though on the grounds that my existing lens is a monster by comparison, but I can't justify the cost of change for the sake of it.

10. Monobod

I agree John, I have the DFA and it is lighter, but the lens extends to the front of the hood in close focus, so still longish. I have yet to take a photo with it, but when I do, I will post some.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pentax Photo Gallery

Search by Image Data > Lens > Whatever macro one you want, and let the images do the talking.

12. Ratcatcherpix

I'm keeping an eye on three lenses at the moment Sigma AF MF 105mm f2:8 macro and a Pentax PK 100mm f4 Macro + 50mm macro/extension tube and a Tamron SP90 adaptal-2 f2:5 + extension tube on e-bay . What do you think?.

13. johnriley1uk

As much macro work is better done focusing manually, I would go for the Pentax one.

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

While it'd be nice to have the Pentax just to keep everything in-system it won't make much difference whichever one you end up with as they are all very capable lenses. The 90mm Tamron in fact has a very good reputation - indeed some rate it, in any of it's versions, as one of the best macro lenses made...

The only possible downside to the Pentax is the f4 aperture. With macro you really need as much light as possible in the 'finder when trying to achieve precision focus in up-close situations where the DoF naturally very minimal. F4 isn't disastrously dull but it's a point worth bearing in mind.

15. Monobod

The Pentax 100mm f2.8 is a very nice lens. I have had mine now for a few weeks and it is highly recommended. It works equally well on dslr and film bodies, has direct manual focus as well as auto. It makes an excellent portrait lens as well with very nice soft out of focus backgrounds.

I know it is not cheap, but quality seldom is unfortunately.

16. Ratcatcherpix

I quit fancy the Pentax but as nigel said only f4 aperture can it really be that much of a problem. Has anyone got any info on the Sigma lens.

17. Monobod

Have a look at Photozone.com

18. Ratcatcherpix

Thanks for that but there is nothing on the Sigma lens that i have mentioned

19. Ratcatcherpix

The Sigma has EX ( whatever that means )

One other thing is which one will perform best on my K10D

20. Monobod

EX (EX Lens)
    The exterior of this lens is EX-finished to denote the superior build and optical quality, and to enhance its appearance.

Look HERE
    for the Sigma Lens on the website.
    I would plumb for this one as it is a fine lens and will give you the best of both worlds, auto and manual focus and a good portrait lens as well as macro.