1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macro lens help

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Steven evans, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Steven evans

Steven evans New Member

hello everyone we have just bought a canon eos 1300d we are new to digital photography we are looking for a Marco lens as my partner to shoot close up's of flowers etc She wants to get as close as possible to the subject say an inch or so.
    What the best macro lens for this??
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Steve & mara

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There is another current thread with more or less the same question and people's views on different lenses. Basically, as well as the 4(?) options from Canon, there are offerings from Sigma and Tamron. Many people favour a focal length of ~100 mm rather than something shorter because it allows a little more working room.

Just a warning if you have come from a compact, the depth of field is rather less with a DSLR and macro takes some technique to do well. A cheap intro is to use close-up lenses. They let you practice without the outlay.

3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

For flowers and plants I like the EF-S60 f2.8 macro and arguably the best lens for portraits as well. I find that for plants I usually don't do 1:1 magnification so this lens is nicer to use than the 100mm, it is also more compact. Yes it is a real macro lens so it can do 1:1 magnification.
    If you are going for bugs then the 100mm is much better as it gives longer working distance and like Peter pointed out the usual suspects are something like the EF 100 f2.8 Macro, the 105mm macro from Sigma or the excellent 90mm macro from Tamron.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter much. They're all pretty good. I have several, all manual focus (Vivitar, Nikon, Leica), and a LOT more depends on composition and exposure than on what lens I use. It's much the same with autofocus. As Snorri points out, longer lenses = more working distance, but that's a combination of subject matter, convenience and personal preference. I have 55mm, 65mm, 90mm and the (now rather rare) 90-180/4.5 Vivitar Series 1. I also have a 135mm that focuses to 1/3 life size unaided.

Cheers,

R.

5. Steven evans

Steven evans New Member

Thanks for all the replies we are new to this and it's a lot to take on board lol
    Can someone explain the numbers and letters before the lens?
    Thanks again all steve and mara

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Canon DSLR cameras have two mounts (where the lens joins on).
    EF-S is your camera and others with the same sensor size.
    EF is any Canon SLR in the EOS range. It was designed for autofocus on film cameras.

Third party lenses for Canon cameras usually come in EF fit but there are some specifically made for EF-S which is the biggest market.

The number is the focal length e.g 60 mm, 100 mm. I expect your camera came with an 18-55 mm zoom. It means you can vary the focal length between 18 mm ( moderate wide angle) to 55 mm (short telephoto)

Letters afterwards are IS means image stabilised.
    The letter L means it is better built lens. Canon L lenses are made for hard use and generally speaking are better optically though this may not show up unless making big prints.

Edit: I forgot. Then there is the maximum aperture e.g. F2.8 which indicates how much light the lens can allow in. The smaller the number the bigger the aperture - it is actually the focal length divided by the aperture so a 50mm F2 has an aperture 25 mm across.

Canon is very easy on the lens descriptors. Other makes go to town with long lists of acronyms.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Oleg2016 likes this.
  7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

8. Steven evans

Steven evans New Member

Thanks everyone much appreciated
    Steve and mara

9. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

A 60mm macro lens is well suited to flowers and will offer better dof and is usually cheaper than say a 100mm macro lens