1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

macro kit part 2

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by gazraa, Apr 9, 2003.

1. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

Ok, having decided to try out reversing a manual 50mm lens on the end of my Sigma 70-300 APO Macro I've been wondering which lens to get to reverse. Setting my Sigma at about 200 I should get 4:1 which will do me fine for experimenting.

I've had a look on ffordes and seen a few options, a f1.8 olympus zuiko (or something like that) for just under 30 quid, or a f1.7 minolta lens for a similar price.

I was just wondering about any factors I should consider.

Is weight a problem or are all lenses of this size a similar weight?
    Will there be any problems in stepping down from a 58mm thread diameter to whatever the 50mm lens will be (i'm assuming it'll be 40 odd)?
    How much extra stress will this put on my Sigma lens?
    Is one brand of lens superior for this application?

I don't really want to spend more than 25-30 quid on the lens.

For those that didn't read my other post, all this is going on a Dynax 5.

2. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

you dont need to splash out for a 50mm, in fact I'd go for a slower 50mm rather than a fast one.The reason? Well, fast lenses are assymetrical, i.e the front element is a lot bigger than the rear, so when reversed you get a small 'front' element.Of course your TTL metering will take this into account but you may get vignetting.
    Now getting something like a M42 mount 50mm f2 or even a 58mm f2(the ones for Zenith cameras, you can get them for about a tenner!)will do,and it should be symetrical, stopping partway down will show this as the iris diaphragm will appear bigger at the front element than it will at the rear element if it is asymetrical.Also get a rear lens cap to fit it and cut out most of it to make a lens hood to cut out stray light, load up with b/w film,(I prefer C41 b/w,it's cheaper!) and use an anglepoise lamp to light the subject and play around with it, it's great fun and a great way to learn before going on to using flash.

<i>I will be rich and famous one day, just not today!</i>

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not the 58mm f2, in preference get a 50mm f2.8 Zeiss Tessar (that's East German Carl Zeiss Jena) - the 58mm isn't very symmetrical at all.

Nick BSRIPN

4. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

would that still be a cheap option?
    where would you recommend getting one from. I live in Manchester, just incase you know of any decent shops near by.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, still very cheap - check out the bargain bins in an old-fashioned camera shop, but unlikely to be more than £15 in any case. That said, any bargain-bin 50mm would do.

Nick BSRIPN

6. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

righty ho, i'll put my bargain hunter hat, go for a cheap as chips 50mm and see what I can find.

Thanks for the info.

7. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

By the way, the front thread on a 50/1.8 Zuiko is 49mm. Good lens, and very light.

<b>Wilko</b> FRIPN

8. Larry Shone

are there no 'small' camera shops with s/h lenses in the window? Theres such a shop up here with more on offer than say Jessops which stocks more newer stuff.
    Let's hear it for the small traders!

9. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

haven't found any yet, although I don't know the manchester area that well even though I've lived here nearly 2 years!!
    I'm trying my luck on ebay at the moment :)

10. Larry Shone

any cheap 50mm should do, theyre quite cheap cos most 'snappers' have no interest in standard lenses and prefer zooms, its only us serious photographers that appreciate the benefit of such lenses.

11. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

right, just managed to get hold of a 50mm f2.8 Zeiss Tessar as recommended by Nick.
    Got it from ebay (my first time using ebay!) for £13 inc postage, so that'll do me. Now I just need the gadgets to attach it to my sigma lens (still being fixed, due back after the easter weekend).
    I think i'll wait for both the lenses to arrive before i get any other bits though.

12. Larry Shone

right, what filter thread size is it, I'm guessing its 52mm and youre zoom is 58mm right.So you will need a 58-52 stepping rinf(about 4 quid in Jessops) and a 52mm thread coupling ring. I recently came across a 49mm thread one for a pound in a bargain bin in the small shop in the town!I am also on the lookout for a 52-49 stepping ring BUT I have found that i can fit one of my zenith 58mm lenses nicely onto my 100mm macro lens and get 2X lifesize, will find out soon what the pics look like!
    Hope you get your kit sorted soon, and have fun with it!

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

49mm, I think.

Nick BSRIPN

14. Larry Shone

so Garry will need a 58-52 and a 52-49 for it to work(I doubt you'd find a 58-49)Will there not be a chance of vignetting with this arrangement?(I would have a similar problem with my setup if i used my 75-300)

15. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

ok, the lens is 49mm, and to couple it to my sigma which is 58mm I got hold of a 58-49 stepping ring, £4.90 from SRB, but I was a bit of a muppet and got the 58-58 coupling ring, £19.95 when I should have got the 49-49 coupling ring... doh!
    Not too much of a problem cos my sigma is still being fixed, at least another week, so I should be able to swap it during next week.
    So that's where I'm up to.

The lens looks great by the way, can't wait to start using it.

16. Larry Shone

well, i have a 49-49 coupling ring which works lovely with my macro lens and a Helios 58mm attached and will give me 2X! Hopefully I will get some photos with it soon.
    also reversing the 58mm gives just under lifesize which is handy for when using my cosina( i tend to have one camera with colour in and one with b/w)