1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M4/3 macro converter.

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Jeff Preston, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Jeff Preston

Jeff Preston Well-Known Member

Advice please
    I wish to copy 35mm slides mounted above an IPad with illuminated white screen using my Olympus M4/3 camera held by a copying stand. I have Olympus 12-40mm, 25mm, 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses. I know there are Olympus macro converters and third party converters. Can anyone advise from experience what would be a suitable macro converter with any of the above lenses ? I would like to use the 12-40 because it is sharper than the others but the alternatives would be OK.
    I shall support the slides clear of the screen to make sure it is not in focus.
    Cheers
    Jeff

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You have three choices:
    i) a close up lens (which I think is what you must mean by macro-converter) which is fitted as a filter. They come in different strengths. I have used them for copying photographs. Probably the cheapest solution.
    ii) extension tube. This fits between the lens and the camera and both reduces the minimum focussing distance and produces enlargement- would work best with the 25 mm probably. There is a calculator on the cambridge in colour website that will inform on effective magnification
    iii) a macro lens - the most expensive option but designed to focus down to produce 1:1 reproduction. You are looking at ~1:2 for 35 mm slide onto a m4/3 sensor - maybe not so much because of the aspect ratio difference.

I have no idea how uniform an iPad screen is compared to a light box. I'd suggest to make a mask to avoid flare.

3. Jeff Preston

I understand a macro converter to be a tube fitted between a camera body and a lens. The lens attached to the front of a lens I know as a close up filter.
    I am aware that placing a lens further away from the sensor reduces minimum focus point.
    Some converters have no lens ( such as those I had for a Sigma 105 lens on a Sony body).
    Some converters as sold by Olympus have a lens. I do not know about third party macro converters.
    I was just asking for advice derived from experience of using macro converters on M4/3 lenses.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Cheers
    Jeff

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've been using Meke MK-P-AF3B extension tubes that I got from Amazon quite cheaply. There's a 16mm and a 10mm in the set and this is what I get with a 30mm Sigma Art + the 16mm tube (this was handheld). With a zoom you can fine tune the framing but zooms can be a bit odd at high ratios like this - so some experimenting will be called for. Also this was hand held at f2.8 and the camera's at a slight angle to the coins so the sharpness tails off towards the top of the image...

Panasonic G2 8GB 11 P1210303.JPG

5. Jeff Preston

Excellent.
    Thanks for the info.
    The ( long) descriptive title of the tubes includes AF which I guess means the contacts enable auto focus and auto exposure. Could you advise please whether my guess is correct ?
    Cheers
    Jeff

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yes. :)

7. Jeff Preston

Thanks
    Cheers
    Jeff

8. Jeff Preston

I got the Meke extension tubes this week
    They work very well on my Olympus 25 mm
    Slide copying works well using an IPad app that gives a white square of adjustable size. Have to keep a couple of cm between the slide and screen to make it out of focus, and make sure there are no reflections on the slide. Works well in a dim room with no lights.
    Thanks for advice or extension tubes.
    Cheers
    Jeff