1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lyrics

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by Benchista, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I cant see anyone getting this. I had to Google it and haven;t even heard of the band never mind the song! :eek:

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Welcome to our planet Barney! :D

I once had a record by the intermediary group mentioned, who were called Hudson-Ford for what it's worth.

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Got it, "Part of the Union" by the Strawbs from "Bursting at the Seams". The unfortunate female vocalist refered to is the great Sandy Denny who was a member of the band before joining Fairport Convention.

Tally ho! Andrew

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

At last, a familiar name! I've heard of Fairport Convention! :D

Now, when is someone going to post some Kyuss lyrics, or perhaps Queens of the Stone Age? Then I might be in with a chance! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. spangler

Mm, I like Queens of the Stone Age too! Anywho as I'm off to work shortly here's one to chew over:

"The town clock in the market square stands waiting for the hour, when its hands they both turn backwards..."

Tally ho! Andrew

6. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

At last. One I think I know. But I need to give it some thought. It's on the tip of my tongue....

7. Kettering_Jeremy

Kettering_Jeremy Well-Known Member

Well done!!!!

Some unkind soul once described them as the thinking man's Genesis.

The Strawbs, a bit like Fairport reads like a who's who of folk rock. Rick Wakeman, John Hawken (ex Renaisence), Chas Cronk (bassist with Gordon Giltrap). Maddy Prior (Steeleye Span) guested on a Christmas single. Blue Weaver (Amen Corner) joined when Rick Wakeman left .......... I do rather seem to be rambling - sorry folks

8. Hotblack

Nope! Had to Google it so that disqualifies me.

9. spangler

Clue:

The follow up to a huge number one in the sixties.

Andrew

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Maybe you should posted some lyrics from the Number one then?

11. Hotblack

That's a whole decades worth on number 1s. Hardly a clue.

12. spangler

The number one in question remains one of the most played songs ever on the radio and has been covered by Annie Lennox.

Pip pip! Andrew

13. TimF

Having also googled Andrew's I'll rule myself out.

Must say though that the earlier number one record by the artiste is one of my most hated songs; how much that has to do with its relentless over-exposure is open to question - I've also become very jaded about Free's "All Right Now" despite being a lover of the band for that reason.

I do have an album by this artist - not the one this song is from but probably their best known. The cover of which is a pastiche of an at one time well known product.

14. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Homburg by Procul Harum. AND I didn't need to google it either. I've got it on a MFP (remember those?) album. They are still playing and have two gigs at Southend On Sea on the 11th & 12th December.

Try this:

"She loves a young man and he lives in the town, And he leaves the house early for he works underground"

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

The Wombles.

16. Steve52

Well. As no one has posted an answer, I guess this thread has come to an end. So the answer is Sweet Guinevere by Canadian artist Gordon Lightfoot from the album, Endless Wire.

17. TimF

You should post a new one, and give yourself a hand shake for beating everybody!

18. Steve52

OK. This is one that is in the charts at the moment:

"But if you get to California
    Save a piece of gold for me"

19. TimF

Chart music these days is a foreign country for me, so will have to pass again! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ;)