1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LX5 or EX1 - Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by JerryNash, Feb 16, 2011.

1. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to gather some opinions, if i may.

I'm looking for an enthusiast compact to compliment my DSLR, one which won't intimidate the missus should she want to use it and can fit in my pocket. I have around £350 to spend, and looking at the market there appears to be only 2 real contenders:

The Panasonic LX5 or the Samsung EX1

I've already discounted the G12 and P700 as too big, The Olympus XF-1 is too expensive and the s95, although a worthy camera, is a Canon - and i have no desire to increase the "Big 2"'s market share (as daft as it sounds).

So which do you think is better?

I know this is a Panasonic forum, so i pretty sure where people's alligence's lie, but there are merits and draw backs to both, but which is better?

LX5 pros: build/ handling better than EX1, more 'pocketable', variable aspect ratio sensor, better video

EX1 pros: cheaper, vari-angle screen, brighter lens, longer reach

Your thoughts?

2. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Hi

Phew, that is a close call - both do extremely well in the imaging department :)

The only way to do this is to compare them side by side and make notes of what you want and see which one has the most pluses - Note: The US version of the Samsung EX1 is the TL500.
    Click me...

Good luck!

3. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Can't say much about the Sammy, but I chose the Panny. The deciding factor for me was the HD movie spec with the Panny. That said I don't take movies very often

Some sample shots from the LX5 can be seen here

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Yes, it was the deciding factor for me when I chose the Panasonic TZ7 :cool:

5. JerryNash

I must admit the LX5 having HD video over the EX1's VGA is a significant advantage, but i never really used video on my old compact and i'm hoping to upgrade my DSLR to a HD video enabled one in the near future.

I just wonder whether the tilt/swivel screen would in practice be more useful than the video? Not that they really correspond to one another!

My heart (and a bit of my head) says LX5, its got the pedigree and the layout i like.

The remainder of my head says EX1 - but only for the screen and the £70 saving in cost, which in these days of austerity is a significant factor... :D

6. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

If you don't need the video then the Samsung looks a good buy. Plus I'm not sure if the EX1 has a lens cap or not. The LX5 has a lens cover.

I've always liked a tilt/swivel screen and the one by Samsung has an OLED screen which is brighter than an LCD one.

It also has an extremely bright F1.8-2.4 lens.

I had the Samsung NV24HD which I enjoyed.

Have you had a chance to play with it?

7. JerryNash

Sadly not, a distinct lack of decent camera shops in my neck of the woods. :(

I suppose, never having had a tilt/ swivel screen, I wouldn't miss it - whereas id probably be more aware of the poor video on the EX1... I guess what I'm really after is an EX2!!! ;) (or an LX6 which features a swivel screen!) :)

8. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

9. JerryNash

Thanks Chris.

Well, after a lot of soul searching, features comparision and reading various reviews etc i pretty much decided the LX5 was the best camera of the 2...

... so i ordered an EX1!

Weighing up all the pros and cons, i stopped and thought about the reason why i wanted a high-end compact in the first place: something fun i could play about with while still using the DSLR for 'serious' photography.

The lack of HD video isn't an issue - when i upgrade my DSLR later this year i'll get it then.

For me, the tilt-swivel screen has won out over the longer reach/ slightly better picture quality of the LX5. While my reasoning is probably slightly obscure, i just think it'll prove more versatile in day to day shooting.

One of the things that really made me want to abandon my principles and get a Canon was the tilt-swivel screens of the G12, 60D and 600D. Going this way i get the versatility in a more appropriate form without changing systems and becoming a card-carrying member of the "big 2".

Should arrive tomorrow! V excited!

10. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Yes you're right, but...

I have to say that my little Samsung ND24 was a lot of fun and as you have got a DSLR, I can understand what you're saying :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your comments when you've had a chance to play with it :D

Cheers

11. Tim Coleman

Tim Coleman AP Deputy Technical Editor

Jerry,

Looking at your last post it appears I am joining the conversation a little too late.

However, you might all be interested to know that I am doing a head to head test between the LX5, EX1 and also, sorry to say Jerry, the Canon S95 and the Olympus XZ1. Hopefully the test should give you all some further ideas, but in the meantime are there any particular things that you want me to look into in the test?

Tim

12. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Bit late to join the thread but I've had difficulty in choosing and went for the EX1 but I've now decided to have the LX5 as well since although they might seem to overlap I would have quite distinct jobs for each.

13. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Looked at test images and IMHO the LX5 is better.

There is a reason, the sensor is slight bigger at 1/1.63" over the 1/1.7" of the EX1.

You also get more zoom with the LX5 at 3.8x to 3x of the EX1.

If you have ordered your EX1 online, remember legally if you are not happy you should be able to return it for a refund I think it is a 7 day limit.

14. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I have a TZ8 and now I am saving for an LX5. I love you pics and I want to do some streeet photography and this thread has made me more detirmined than ever.

15. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

I have just returned from my local Camera club. where we have had a photographic comp. One member put in three B& W images A3 in size. Taken with the Lumix TZ10. They were absolutely brilliant. pin sharp back to front. I was amazed by the quality of the Pictures.
    I wonder if anyone else has seen the results of this camera?
    Alphonso