1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumix Telephoto

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by AlecM, Jul 8, 2012.

1. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Dear mods - it may be that this is best moved to the review section. I was intending to pass on some advice, but it looks more like a review now!! Up to you (obviously!)

Tried out two telephoto zooms today. Just thought it might be useful to post my findings, in case anyone else is looking for a MFT telephoto.
    First off was the 45-200 mega OIS f4-5.6. Good lens -it's big and the zoom feels solid and smooth. Liked it a lot and was impressed with the clarity and, especially, the stabilisation.
    Next was the newer (and 50 quid more) 45-175 f4-5.6. This is an 'x' lens and it comes with the power zoom. It's a much smaller affair and I didn't take to the power zoom function much, preferring to zoom manually (in fact, preferring the other lens' zoom). Where the x comes from is, apparently the fact that the glass has a ED element and nano-coating.
    Both turned in excellent performances - fast and precise and the images looked great on the back of the GX1.
    However, the 'x' lens pics, when viewed on the computer, showed much better colour (especially in the shadow / darker areas), improved sharpness and - most obvious of all - much greater chromatic control.
    So, despite the inferior (to me) handling and the sacrifice of 25mm (50mm in 35mm terms, you know the drill), I went with the 'x' lens for it's superior IQ.
    HTH someone......

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

You are writing about this yes?

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/721-pana45175

It looks like it supports manual and power zoom?

Thing I don't like about that design is no zoom scale, well I can't see one from the image.

Where as the other lens

[​IMG]

Has zoom scale. Sometimes I know round about what focal length I need plus of cause useful to know for shutter speed setting even with IS.

3. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

That's the right lenses - yep.
    As I said, in many ways, the handling was better on the 45-200 (and slightly alien on the pz lens). I just couldn't ignore the difference in IQ.

Interestingly, I used the zoom scale on the screen, which meant reading the focal length without taking my eyes off the framing.

(Wanted to get out and play today, but after my British 10k run in London, my left foot appears not to want to do anything other than reside on a sofa.)

I'm going to start a Lumix blog over the summer as I am exploring how close the CSC can come to replacing my DSLR for everything but nature and wildlife.....

4. P_Stoddart

Probably personal taste from my manual film days when you look at the shutter dial and the zoom level to see if you wandering into camera shake risk.

I still do it today at some action event, glance down to see where the zoom is and knowing what the shutter setting is even factoring in the IS.

5. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I enjoy digging out my old Nikkors with aperture ring and DOF scale!
    They've also lasted a darned sight longer than any of this Panny kit (and that's no criticism of it, more a comment on my industrial nikkors!;)

6. P_Stoddart

Mind you, what about my question, can you manual zoom the 45-175mm?

It has a grip for it or is it power zoom only?

I like to zoom in quick sometimes, hence I am not a fan of power zoom technology. Plus another thing to break. :p

7. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Sorry - yes you can - and I did, and do.
    The pz 'feature' would be ace for video, but I prefer manual - though apparently, it's still pz as the ring is not manually but electronically connected - hence why it feels 'odd'. Still, I have some time to get used to it before the event for which I bought it (Olympic cross country at Greenwich). The 'orses, not runners....

Take your point about eectricals v mechanicals.....

8. P_Stoddart

Yeah, they did that on the Olympus SP570 bridge camera I had instead of a toggle switch. Still did not like it because it was not a true simulation of a manual zoom. The speed was fixed. So did not matter how fast you turn the grip is zoom at the same speed. :(

They dropped it on the next model.

Thing is I cannot see the point of a power zoom unless it allows for the lens to be telescopic, thus making it smaller when not in use. Unless you have possible left hand problems ie maybe muscle weakness.

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I also went for the 45-175mm for my GF-3, the chromatic control swayed me too, it's just excellent. I believe the Power O.I.S is very competent. Enjoy your new lens :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  10. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Cheers! It's nice to have a reassuring agreement on the lens (despite the evidence being clear).
    The overall quality of the CSC system continues to impress me. :D

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Mis-read that last bit the first time I read it as " .....replacing my DSLR for everything but nature and wife" :mad::eek:

12. phaeo

phaeo Well-Known Member

I have been looking at that lens, there seems to be some really good reviews on line about it, at the moment I'm using the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1.4-5.6, which I find works really well on both my Olympus and Panasonic Bodies...and for the price its well worth a look at...

13. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Probably my favourite prime lens is an Olympus (the fantastic value 45mm f1.8). However, with the longer telephoto, OIS is important to me, which you don't get with the Oly lens. That's another advantage of the X lens - I wasn't aware of the OIS working in the same way as I was with the 45-200.

I reckon you have the best option for your Oly body and I have the best option for the Panny!

14. phaeo

phaeo Well-Known Member

I have not had a problem using it on my G2 like wise the panasonic 14mm sits well on my EPL-2, and I agree with you on the 45mm hoping to get one in the next couple of weeks although I am quite tempted to maybe take a punt on the Sigma 30mm first, as I already have a couple of 50mm Zuiko OM primes which when coupled to the adatptor work as 100mm primes if you havnt yet tried one of these old lenses then you have got to get one and have a go im sure youll love the results....Regards Clive

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Maybe not ideal for use on a GF (my experience with it is with a GF1) but I'm a fan of the 14-140. It's small enough to make it a proper one-lens solution and with a (say) 20mm f1.7 in the pocket it's hard to ask for more. The better grip on the GX1 may make it a good option.