1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumix G1, Imaging Resource Preview

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Iloca, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thats a good preview - thanks for posting

Roger

3. Photocracy

Photocracy Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks; very interesting reading.

Do we know which of the present 4/3rds range of lenses will or will not work with the G1's contrast-detect autofocus? If most will only work with manual focus, this system is going to be of limited interest to existing 4/3rds owners.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am afraid that Richard has already answered that question on another forum and it was not encouraging - here is the link
    4/3 compatability

Roger

5. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

I'm rather surprised that nobody seened to pick up on the compatability issue. It seemed clear that if a particular lens couldn't focus using Contrast AF on the E-420/520 then neither would it be able to focus by CAF on a m4/3rds camera. That was my take on it anyway so I'm not really surprised to find out that as far as the G1 at least is concerned that is in fact the case.

I touched on it on a post Here

And Here

Obviously I wasn't talking specifically about the compatability issue as I assumed it was fairly common knowledge but I mentioned it in passing.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Had a look at the review.
    It seems as though, once again a manufacturer can't resist scattering info across an EVF :mad:
    Why the blue-blazes can't they put the info in an LCD across the bottom as in any other self-respecting SLR? :mad:
    Other than that it looks a nice cam, possibly with the first EVF that works. I remember looking at a Minolta A1 a while ago and not liking the EVF at all, even though it was then rated one of the best (And too axpensive to keep for the A2)
    Dave

7. Photocracy

Photocracy Well-Known Member

Somewhere around the middle of this interview, the second Panasonic guy says that they anticipate future firmware updates to the G1 will allow existing 4/3rds lenses to work with Micro 4/3rds system bodies' auto focus.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Olympus have said the same.

9. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

While I like my panasonic lumix I can't help feeling that this G1 is a backwards step. Am i right in thinking it has a smaller than APS sensor,also no pentaprism(not TTL)? A case of it looks like a DSLR but isn't. An expensive pretender.

10. Mark_Norton

Mark_Norton Well-Known Member

The magic for me is that I can put Leica M glass on it. First impressions are that it's an interesting camera.

11. Larry Shone

But surely if you can afford actual Leica lenses then you'd be better off putting them on a proper Leica camera instead of this false DSLR?

12. Mark_Norton

Mark_Norton Well-Known Member

The issue with the "proper" Leica cameras is that they use a mechanical proxy for setting focus instead of sensing/displaying actual focus to the user. That means it only works if everything is correctly set up and the focussing requirements of digital are stretching the capabilities of the M rangefinder to the limit.

Developments like the G1 show Leica a way forwards to a new M camera design; the existing one is running out of road.

I think it's splitting hairs to describe the G1 as a fake DSLR. It achieves similar functionality even if it achieves it in a different way. I think it's a welcome addition to the market.

13. Larry Shone

The thing with the G1,marvellous as it is,it uses a EVF so is not a true SLR. Its a glorified bridge camera with interchangeable lenses. It may be fantastic,I think I'm right in that it uses a bigger sensor than the usual for a bridge camera like my Lumix but even so its NOT a DSLR in the true sense.

14. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

This is true, but to be fair, its an issue not confined to Leica. Talking to Ivor at Red Dot when I bought my M8.2 he said that the only lens still giving problems when new is the 35mm 'lux-a, and that may well be down to the design of the lens itself. There were problems over the last couple of years with either old lenses people already owned and existing stock. However, Leica must have recognized the problem and are setting the lenses up for the M8.

Certainly, I've experienced no problems with 28, 35, 50 and 75mm optics. Even an old Canon 50mm f/1.2 seems fine. Any potential problems I have had with that might be down to the inherent softness of the lens at maximum aperture.

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

But AFAIA no-one is calling it a DSLR? I'm keeping an eye on the G1 and the new Olympus Micro 4/3 with a view of them being the ideal street photography camera (especially the Olympus, if it has a viewfinder accessory). Just think about a small compact camera, no mirror slap so nice and quiet, and if you're pre-focusing on manual then th viewfinder/AF issue in no longer an issue.

It will be a year or two before I'd be able to justify buying into a new system, but it's certainly food for thought.

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Err...

...and...

17. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

The second "review" does say In my view its not a genuine DSLR as it uses an electronic veiwfinder.

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

But they still headline it with "Panasonic G1 DSLR" which is what the average punter will tend to remember...

19. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

No-one here then, Mr Pedant! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif