1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Louise

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by dancook, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dancook

dancook Active Member

2. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I think this is very beautiful and I love the soft tones you have used. The only small cavil I would have is the slightly cluttered background.

3. dancook

dancook Active Member

Thank you!

I made peace with the background during the photoshoot, since we're renovating the house the bedroom has wallpaper half stripped. I took the shot anyway, I entered it into a small monthly competition.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Not bad for a first attempt... The pose is nice, and Louise has a lovely figure, but I think maybe a plain sheet would have worked better than the furry blanket.
    The sharpest focus area appears to be the fur just in front of her hand. I think for this shot to work the focus has to be on some part of Louise.
    There is a total muddle around her head (picture frame? shadows?) which annoys. A door frame would be okay, and would give a little more meaning to the shot... but as it is there is too much there.
    The lighting is nice, but bordering on the slightest touch of burnout on her arm.
    I think the crop is just a little too tight for this type of shot too, maybe allow a little more space around her, particularly at the top of the frame, and maybe try some shots from a slightly higher angle.

Still a very good result from your first attempt though, and mono suits the shot very well :)

5. dancook

dancook Active Member

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll definitely give it another go once we've properly decorated.

6. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Hmm...those curves! :p But I think the other advice here could turn some stunning shots if you change the background/setting as suggested.I like the black & white too.

7. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

As others have said, a great pose and well lit too. I like the use of the fur as well :) The OOF clutter in the BG around her head spoils the shot though :( but an excellent effort for your first go :cool:

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Don't panic - Mike will be along to adjust them in a minute! *evil grin*

Adrian

9. dancook

dancook Active Member

I don't get it?

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Roving Mike is well known for adjusting people's photos by tweaking the levels and *curves*...

Adrian

11. dancook

dancook Active Member

Aha.. at first I thought he was insulting the curves on my other half... :)

Thanks for clearing that up!

12. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Far from it! :D But I meant no crudity. She has a lovely figure.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes there is definitely work for me here and Clodsie has spotted it. First let me join the general throwing up over the background clutter, which one can accept the reasons for, but the reasons to not rescue a basically knackered shot, which nevertheless is still very useful for practice.
    Then the burnout...it is way too much. For a quick demo, just pull the curves down to the bottom until the rest is dark and the highlights will still be bright.
    Some selective burning is probably the easiest (and I hope more carefully than my rough attempts here).
    If you are using directional light anywhere, you do need to take a reading from the point nearest the light and expose for that, then deal with the dark areas as necessary. It is same for caves, tunnels etc. Your eyes will tell you it is evenly lit, but they lie. Never use matrix metering in those conditions.

[​IMG]

14. dancook

dancook Active Member

Thanks for the demo, you're quite right - I brought all the levels down and it's sits there glowing :)

Is there much I can do during the photo shoot to avoid this, different time of day, sheet over the window? Or will it be post processing.

15. dancook

dancook Active Member

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well as I said, expose for the highlights and then pull the rest up a bit if you have to. Just make sure that neither is 100% white or black, because then you're screwed. In this case the highlights are not burned out, so there is something for the burning brush to bite on. The real studio guys will know exactly the dynamic range of their sensor (or film) and will take readings from every part to ensure that they stay within it.
    As a final resort you can make two raw conversions and patch them together, but this is more suitable for outdoor shots and harder to get away with on skin.

17. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

Mike's curves adjustment is spot-on :cool: and your rapid redecoration of the bedroom make all the difference. Put those 2 adjustments together in the same frame and you have the makings of a great image. Well done :D