1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for help from all you budding legal buffs out there...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lost_In_France, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

I bought an Amazon Kindle some 18 months ago for my son. All was tickety boo with it until a few weeks ago when an automated system update was released by Amazon. This has stuck at around 20% complete rendering the tablet unuseable. Calls with 'customer' services has failed to find a way out of this. Their stance now is that the tablet is out of warranty and nothing they can do about it; other than to offer a discount on a new tablet.
    Needless to say I've politely (well, sort of!) told them where they can stuff their offer. I have argued that they have a duty of care to their customers and it is their software upgrade, and not the tablet itself, which is at fault and hence up to them to resolve at no cost to me.
    Before I start trawling through legislation, such as the Sale of Goods Act and Consumer Protection Act, etc., I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or knows of any particular bit of legislation which I can toss their way?
    Many thanks,
    Mark

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Very difficult to prove whether it's a hardware or software issue I would say. How can you be 100% sure the tablet itself didn't interfere with the download?

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Where did the transaction take place?

4. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

Bought directly from Amazon's website.
    No problems with previous updates.
    I can see Craig's logic (earlier post) and this is a possibility having had years of experience working in the IT industry. Problem is that, unlike a laptop/desktop, there is no means by which you can manually stop and/or uninstall a system update from a kindle - there are only three buttons (power, volume +/-). It comes down, in my opinion, to whether or not Amazon have any liability over the software updates they send out which cause a perfectly functioning tablet to stop working.
    I now have the name and email address of their Director of Customer Relations - should be an interesting email to write!

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

What sort of Kindle is it? I do not have any volume buttons on mine.

But anyway I suspect that your approach should be that the item is not "fit for purpose" and clearly accepting an update is one of the purposes that was intended.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That surprises me. We had one of the old kindles that went wrong. We'd had it a while and certainly out of the warranty. Amazon were very good and credited the account with the cost of the equivalent replacement without question.

7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Try a reboot. With the Kindle unplugged, press and hold the power button in for a full 30 seconds, then release and wait for it to restart. Found this suggestion elsewhere .....